Emirates A340-300 Economy class

Back to Forum
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I joined this flight from the Business Lounge in Dubai, having flown in from the Far East a couple of hours earlier. This was my first taste of the newly introduced second daily flight from Dubai to Glasgow so I was interested to see what it was like.

Boarding, with the benefits of my Gold Card, was swift but the flight was by no means full, about 60% in Economy and much less in the front two cabins. I guess the service will take some time to bed in and the range of connections are probably not as good as those available with the morning flight out of Dubai.

This service is offered on an A340-300 so this was also a first for me on Emirates. Compared to the 777, Economy is just 2-4-2 so there is certainly a greater feeling of space and the seats, in terms of width and legroom, feel alot more spacious.

The downside is that the cabin has a very tired feel to it and suggests that this is an aircraft that will not be flying the Emirates colours for that much longer. I was in the aisle seat of on of the 2 seater combinations near the front of the cabin (18J) so was happy enough with that.

What was clear is that the IFE is an antiquated version of Emirates normal market leader. It was clumsy to use and a number of people around me had to really struggle to access what they required.

Departure was on time although we did have a longish taxi. Service began with a good range of drinks and menu cards were handed out. I was greeted by name by the Purser and soon afterwards (ahead of meal service) asked for my choice of main dish (Chicken curry, if you are interested!!).

This is also a first for me on EK as I was the only one offered this “advanced selection” in my section of the cabin. As a result, my meal came out with the Specials, ahead of the main service. I asked about this out of curiosity and was told that this was the expected service standard for Gold card holders – new one on me, I must say!! The food, for class, was excellent, by the way.

Cabin crew came round soon after distributing UK landing cards – I had to stop the enthusiastic young man doing this who was insisting that everyone (UK and other EU nationals included) had to complete this paperwork. He sheepishly checked and withdrew that advice!!

A second service took place about 90 minutes ut, consisting of “Reception Sandwiches” (whatever they are), scone and clotted cream – very acceptable.

We landed some 10 minutes ahead of schedule and disembarked quickly. No queues at UKBA and my luggage was third up. Not a bad result, especially as my transport (Mrs TiS) pulled up in the pickup zone just as I walked out!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls