EasyJet return flight …

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Bullfrog
    Participant

I’ve booked a return EasyJet flight, and now I need to use the first sector earlier than booked. Its cheaper to book a new one way ticket .. if I don’t use the ‘first sector’ of the return ticket, will EasyJet honour the return sector or will it automatically cancel.

Guidance appreciated.

GivingupBA
    Participant

I myself would not risk this with any airline, i.e. the probability that the return booking will be cancelled if you do not use the first half/ outward booking.

PhilipHart
    Participant

Bullfrog, according to this reply from the official EasyJet Twitter account one is absolutely entitled to use the return ticket even the outbound sector hasn’t be flown.

This makes perfect sense given that EasyJet operates a point-to-point network where every sector is treated as an individual journey.

ontherunhome
    Participant

I would suspect they’d cancel the return as well. Though i do recall a legal case where the airline lost, and it was classed as a cancellation by the airline, and subject to compensation.
    I often find with Easyjet a new flight can cost less than a change fee especially ex Europe with no APD.

I often book 2 singles just for this reason on Easyjet as it is simple to do and usually very little difference in

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thank you .. much appreciated ..

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=858033]I’ve booked a return EasyJet flight, and now I need to use the first sector earlier than booked. Its cheaper to book a new one way ticket .. if I don’t use the ‘first sector’ of the return ticket, will EasyJet honour the return sector or will it automatically cancel.

Guidance appreciated.[/quote]

You did not book a return flight, you booked two single flights on the same ticket and therein lies the answer.

Legacy airlines have different pricing and T&Cs for single and return trips, easyJet does not.

If you are still concerned, contact them and they will allay your fears.

capetonianm
    Participant

Those who have said the return will not be cancelled are correct. easyJet (and most LCCs) will not cancel subsequent flights if one or more preceding flights are not used.

The reason for this is quite simple. Since all fares are considered point to point, as others have said, interrupting the journey does not affect the fare. With legacy carriers this is different, partly because not using a sector can affect the origin to destination fare, and they will cancel subsequent segments. I have known rare cases where they will recalculate the fare and reinstate the flights but this is not usual.

Most legacy carrier fare notes have a clause stating that ‘full and consecutive use of all flight coupons must be made’. If, as is often discussed, you book (e.g.) DUB-LHR-JFK-LHR-DUB and you don’t use the DUB LHR the fare will increase, often substantially. If you don’t use the LHR DUB last segment the airline has the right to recalculate the fare and charge the difference. In practice this will rarely happen but if there is persistent or frequent abuse of fare rules, they will enforce, and I have seen examples of this, so it is not a ‘rumour’.

As a matter of detail, easyJet (etc) are a ‘ticketless’ carrier, as opposed to one that issues E-tickets. You can have multiple flights one a single PNR, but there are no ticket numbers.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’ve been in this situation with easyjet and I can confirm they do not cancel the second flight.

In fact, I also tried to tell easyjet I would not be ‘using’ the first flight so they could resell it (and perhaps, I thought, I might get some money back), but I didn’t find a way of telling them.

Presumably the flight went with an empty seat, or somehow they sold it to someone in the 45 minutes after I failed to show up for check-in.

Tom

Bullfrog
    Participant

Thank you Tom ‘& others’ .. I’m making use of Easyjet’s new service between Bordeaux and Tel Aviv .. a very useful service for me, as I visit SW France frequently.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls