e-passport identity theft

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Bumped into a friend of mine yesterday who told me he was so happy because he found an e-passport cover that is preventing identity theft (via the chip). While I also heard about some kind of warnings on this topic, I have to admit I am not really worried by this. Are you? Is there real reasons to be worried and seek some kind of protection? Wondering…

tiggerbrown
    Participant

I understood the chip had to be inserted in something to be read – is it actually an NFC type chip?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I am not really sure what more we can all do. I feel somewhat embarrassed to admit that my main defence against fraud, stolen ID etc, is to have an exit strategy / alternative.

**use cards like Amex that provide high standard of protection

** travel with a spare passport (obtained LEGIT)

**let my bank / card provider know where I travel to

**put a note on my card accounts to limit cash (ATM) withdrawals

**travel with only 2 or max 3 different card

I am all for ID cards with pictures and also pictures on credit cards (as in the States).

So as far as the new passport is concerned, on the basis that the UK police have been using dead kids’s ID – I really am not sure what more we can do or indeed whether I care!! Defeatest… YES!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

There’s also a story that when you visit certain countries on holiday, the security service “borrows” your identity for the duration!

I agree about the picture on the CC, except this doesn’t help for cash withdrawals. Though I would have thought some sort of iris tech could be employed.

HSBC now allow you to input travel plans through their website. Up to 9 destinations I think. That’s useful and saves having to use the call centre.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Given that both my UK e-passports fail 95% of the time on attempting entry to the UK, I have no faith in the technology … except that they work 100% in some EU countries, and 95%+ in all the others that have e-gates.

I also have little confidence that my credit card provider will act intelligently on my behalf. For example, they queried the use of the credit card to buy a subscription to the Lancet. Fairly mainstream for a doctor, I would think….?

simonjames
    Participant

An e Passport without portion copy defense could possibly be cloned by an impersonator with a exchanged portion. This is an minor topic since the living physical identification security features and passive authentication defend the e Passport against tampering.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls