Dubai International (DXB) Terminal 1 exit immigration chaos

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

Thanks for mentioning this, Tim. It is a confusing issue and in the UK it is APD which forms the largest charge by far when flying long-haul.

I did take the trouble to word the news piece carefully using the word “most.”

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Alex

No worries – just a contrast that the UK airport passenger surcharge on a flight via LHR (only in 1 direct) was £32 (so $46) which makes the Dubai charge seem reasonable.

Or if I take DUB-LHR-HKG return in July on BA for the LHR surcharge it is £53.82 compared to £13.40 for the Dubai charge (coded F6). If transiting in Dubai out and back then you pay twice when looking at DUB-DXB-HKG return.

For those who are booking a DXB return ticket or with a stopover then you pay tax to the UAE of £14.30 (Code AE) already – and so will also pay another £6.70 at current exchange rates.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Interesting observations, Tim.

In reality though the airline may absorb these smaller charges otherwise its fares will not be competitive with other indirect carriers.

Let’s take SYD-DXB-LHR as an example. If a passenger takes one of QF’s through flights then he/she will not be liable for the DXB tax.

But if taking EK then the passenger would be liable to pay the tax because these are two different flights with two different flight numbers.

So will EK or QF have different prices for similar SYD-DXB-LHR routings ? I doubt it.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi Alex

Fare construction for full J fare for EK SYD-DXB-LHR 15 Jul to 22JUL.

FARE AUD13250.00 EQU GBP7016.00 TAX 146.00GB TAX 46.78UB TAX 2
    9.10AU TAX 31.60WY TAX 13.40F6 TOT GBP7282.88

For QF on QF1 / 2

FARE AUD13250.00 EQU GBP7016.00 TAX 146.00GB TAX 41.65UB TAX 2
    9.10AU TAX 30.00WY TOT GBP7262.75

So same base fare but higher UB charges for EK at LHR by the looks of it along with the F6 tax and a higher WY tax (odd).

Interested to know why UB / WY is slightly different?

Cleancabinair
    Participant

looks like it may affect ALL pax going through Dubai airports from 1st July!
    http://www.arabianbusiness.com/dubai-set-bring-in-9-50-airport-passenger-fee-626743.html

Maybe try Abu Dhabi or Ras Al Khaimah or Sharjah if very price sensitive ?

KSHaggag
    Participant

Afterall Dubai does not need any revenue from tourism ;it is just incremental ,but they are taking advantage of the situation that the whole of Europe specifically is falling in love with the place so they are raising rates ,charges ,fares ,etc…By the way ,the fees of an entry visa to Dubai from countries not included in the 33 nations whose nationals are exempted from a prearranged visa are extortionately high ( GBP75) ..The world continues to visit Dubai in masses (I wonder why … everyone has his own reasons ) ;let those who love it ,just pay ..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Not strictly true, Cleancabinair. As we reported yesterday, the new tax is not payable by those passengers who “go through Dubai airports” with the same flight bearing a single flight number.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/dubai-to-introduce-airport-tax

PeterCoultas
    Participant

ontherunhome: anyone using the ME routings has (hopefully) got a very good deal so minor taxes are unimportant…otherwise why bother to transit these rather nasty places…if you have to work there that is one thing but if not the these places are best avoided

AMcWhirter
    Participant

It was announced today that Sharjah has followed Dubai with an exit fee priced at Dhms 35.

No information on when the new fee will take effect.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Simply ,when the demand is high you should expect prices to climb and new charges to be implemented .Sharjah is often used as a back door to enter Dubai ( it is 10 miles away ) ,so many travellers might use Sharjah airport (predominantly served by low cost carriers ) as a gateway to Dubai and skip the charges .

EU_Flyer
    Participant

Qantas would be one of the few airlines that use DXB as a ‘stopover hub’ rather than a final destination.

Can’t think of any others at hand.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Not sure if Royal Brunei still does ..

AMcWhirter
    Participant

That’s a good example. Royal Brunei still calls in at DXB on the way to Brunei.

TominScotland
    Participant

Left DXB last night on K|LM via the great new D Gates. However exit immigration was absolutely chaotic and took us well over an hour to navigate. No real queue until close to the booths, just pushing and jostling masses. No Priority lane unless with a paid for Priority card. Disengaged immigration officials (I know it is Ramadan but this was well after the breaking of the fast).

Is this normal or were we just unlucky? Never seen the like in Dubai before.

BTW, I do like the new Skyteam Lounge – bright, modern, good food…….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

If you catch DXB at the wrong time, it is exactly as described.

Fighting through Terminal 3 at peak times reminds me of a large shopping centre, the week before Xmas.

That’s why I pay my 300Dhs every other year for an eGates card, which speeds up both entry and exit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls