Duty Free – just a marketing gimmick?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• wisi1965
    Participant

MyFlightsApp

The only really Duty Free at the Duty Free are Cigarettes and Alcohol. Everything else you can find cheaper downtown.

MyFlightsApp
    Participant

Thanks – I think the cheapest option would be to purchase in a low-tax-US state and bring k, but getting them over there is still a case of queuing…

Am going through T5 today, but don’t have any expectation of them having stock

ConstantFlyer1
    Participant

If I want to go shopping – no, I mean if I HAVE to go shopping – I will either brave the local shopping centre, or, more likely, take refuge in the world of online commerce. That modern airports now resemble shopping centres with runways is a matter of sincere regret. Flying should be about aeroplanes, the whiff of engine exhaust, travelling to places with anticipation and excitement, and the awesomeness of experiencing modern aviation technology, as well as the sheer wonder of flight. I may be an old romantic, but I am still savvy enough to realise that airports need to make money, and ancillary revenue is now far more important than aviation-related income streams. However, I do wince at some of the ways airports ‘encourage’ passengers to spend: At one desperate airport, the departure screens tell us to ‘Wait and shop’ till our gate is ready; while others require you to walk a winding path through a shop in order to reach the gates. I say BRING BACK PIER-TOP SPECTATOR BALCONIES and dispel the myth that is Duty Free!

Stowage222
    Participant

Correct – anyone tried to negotiate the ‘track’ from gate to immigration in Sydney – and that ‘s on ARRIVAL!

Ozavanti
    Participant

The secret in SYD is to keep to the left Stowage and you don’t even have to walk through the duty-free.

But personally I would take SYD over LHR T3 anyday on departure.

ivornomates
    Participant

There are very few airports around the world that offer real duty free, however I have to say Taipei is one of them. Wiskey in there can be up to half the price it is in a UK airport. THe usual rip off syndrome applies to veryhting in UK airports and I would say Manchester has to be one of thew worst

ivornomates
    Participant

There are very few airports around the world that offer real duty free, however I have to say Taipei is one of them. Wiskey in there can be up to half the price it is in a UK airport. THe usual rip off syndrome applies to veryhting in UK airports and I would say Manchester has to be one of thew worst

HarryGate
    Participant

For the ipad 3 I bought mine in Singapore where you can get the GST (=VAT) back and bought the next model up (32gb Wifi only) for the same price (£380) after obtaining the refund at the airport GST office

SimonS1
    Participant

If the savings really are £10/20 then I would normally buy on Amaxin and save the hassle of having to unpackaged it etc.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls