Dubai layover

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

canucklad
    Participant

I’m looking for advice….. Flying Emirates to Hong Kong at the end of May with a few mates visiting to friends . we have apx 10 hours to kill between flights.

Trouble is we don’t arrive until midnight !

Thought about heading into the city, but not sure how sensible this would be ?

Flickersboy
    Participant

There are plenty of things to do after midnight in Dubai!

A taxi to Dubai Marina will cost you about DHS 75 (about $20) and take about 20 minutes from the airport, and has bars, cafes, nightclubs, restaurants, etc all open until the early hours.

At Dubai Marina you will see more top brand sports cars than on Top Gear as the local guys drive around at 5 miles an hour showing off their cars.

On the way to the Marina you will travel along the Shk Zayed Rd and drive past the Burj Dubai (the tallest tower in the world) and also the Burj Al Arab (tallest hotel in the world) so you will see some sites as well! have a good trip!

Oh, it will be getting a bit warm at that time too, so dress to suit…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

Cancuk Lad

My advice would be to check if EK will stand yoiu a hotel (they used to) and then get your head down and enjoy HK.

LeTigre
    Participant

Unfortunately, my previous love of Dubai has been changed as the city has turned into an overbuilt concrete jungle. There is one attraction I really love though- Wild Wadi (Water-park). However, this is completely impractical for your trip so I suggest you go up the top of the Burj Khalifa, because not only does it give you immense bragging rights but it is also quite a unique experience.

I believe you can book tickets online ahead of time, so you can check availability and even though the view is mostly desert and sea, just the whole experience of whizzing up the world’s fastest lifts and going out at the world’s highest outdoor observation deck.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A 10 hour layover sounds awful, especially at midnight. I’d find a hotel, even if I had to pay for it, and get some ZZZZZZ’s.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I very much recommend

http://www.dih-dca.com/dihnew/default.aspx

Which is airside so you do not need to clear customs.

You are met from the terminal and brough upstairs (still airside).

YOu can fall off the plane and into the hotel. and then the same the following morning when you wake up… No security checks and immigration.

I have used it quite a few times and is just what you need after a long flight into Dubai

Rgds P

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls