Drought Over: AA Offers Free Booze In Lounges

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Like most Brits, I do like a snifter pre-flight. Sometimes even before 4pm!

However, in the past this pleasure was not complimentary to AAdmiral’s Club entrants, unless you held a BA Silver or Gold card, or were on an international itinerary.

This has now changed:

As a valued Admirals Club® member, we want you to be the first to know that beginning October 1, 2010, American will offer alcoholic beverages, including wine, beer and spirits, free of charge to customers visiting any of our domestic clubs, in addition to complimentary coffee, tea, soft drinks and juices. We will continue to offer complimentary alcoholic beverages at our international locations.

Domestic clubs will offer well brand liquors, house wine and beer as a complimentary service on October 1st.

Premium liquors and wines and a selection of AmoraTM freshfood items will be available for purchase in all U.S. Admirals Club lounges.

More info here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/admiralsClubArticles/AC_BevAnnouncement.jsp

Senator
    Participant

VK,

I guess AA is following in CO’s footsteps. To my knowledge, CO was previously the only US airline with freebies in the lounge. Interesting with both offering “topshelf” as paid and “standard” as free. After seven years in America, I have seen my fair share of the “standard” beverage selection which would qualify as Tesco’s special of the day any time. I spent my University days going to “nickel beer nights” or “quarter well drinks night” in the mid 90s. I have a feeling I will experience this once more in the AA lounge 😉

My only visit to the AA Admirals Club was a domestic JFK Terminal last December. The bar was rather nice, but the price of a good pint of beer (eg. anything not from Golden, CO, Milwaukee, WI or St. Louis, MS) was a whopping $8! And they say Scandinavia is expensive 🙂

starflyer
    Participant

And so bringing AA in line with CO’s President Club (whose alcohol policy will hopefully continue to live on with the new United)

And on VK’s 4pm assertion, I always go by the maxim that it is after 4pm somewhere in the world LOL

RogerVictor
    Participant

It’s ALWAYS 1600 in Tashkent – thus no need to worry

watersz
    Participant

I only drink on days begginning with “T”

Today

jleflyer
    Participant

‘Free’ is relative.
    In Chicago O’Hare Admirals Club on my BA Silver membership on a full fare First Class ticket to San Diego. When I entered the club and the y checked in me and gave me one premium drink coupon. For those who have had the pleasure of visiting the AAdmirals clubs, they serve the cheapest liquor, beers, and wines.
    When I asked for two, the agent said ‘you are only entitled to one’. Give me a freaking break! Flying on my BA Executive Club Silver number (access to Admirals Club), but yet I only get one premium drink coupon?. The selection here is abysmal and all they do is Up Sell!
    US domestic carriers are fairly even on the race to the bottom. BA should reconsider their allocation of food and beverages at their clubs.
    Whatever BA is paying AA for Admirals Club access, it is certainly not worth it. It is not apples to apples comparison. Same thing a couple of weeks back flying on full FC ticket out of O’Hare.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I am normally given two vouchers, and more on request.

I have never been refused when asking politely. More of an AA issue than a BA issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls