Driving licence requirements

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

LHRSENflyer
    Participant

I recently intended to hire a car from Hertz in Estonia using an old-style UK licence, i.e tattty, shredded bit of paper with no photo but a valid address. I was told that these licences are no longer accepted in some EU countries, including much of Scandinavia. I have used the non-photo UK licence, as I object to paying for a new-style licence as my details have not changed, in Norway in 2011 without any issues. Is anyone able to clarify the situation? Frankly I was quite surprised at the situation, yet again there seems to be little coordination within the EU. I recently hired a car in the Ukraine, for which an IDP is a supposed requirement but the hire company was more interested in seeing my UK licence. Must I now carry the IDP for rentals in our European partner countries?

RichHI1
    Participant

Under EU legislation a valid member country license is accepted across the EU. It is possible if you have a green pre EU license they may ask for trAnslation. The pink license introduced euro translations.

LHRSENflyer
    Participant

Thanks, Rich. I have the pink version with translations. This is the impression I was under until a fortnight ago regarding its applicability throughout the EU without question.

Bruce98
    Participant

There Is No Requirement to Have a New Style Licence Until 2033.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Avis and Europcar in France refused my old UK licence saying without a photo it is not valid in France. I used my Swiss one instead.

I now have a new one and Hertz in Lugano accepted it without the paper bit, but at Zurich they asked for the paper bit. No one else in Europe (UK excepted) or S. Africa has asked for the paper bit.

Typical UK to add a paper bit where all other countries I know of which issue plastic credit card size licences don’t.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Avis and Europcar in France refused my old UK licence saying without a photo it is not valid in France. I used my Swiss one instead.

I now have a new one and Hertz in Lugano accepted it without the paper bit, but at Zurich they asked for the paper bit. No one else in Europe (UK excepted) or S. Africa has asked for the paper bit.

Typical UK to add a paper bit where all other countries I know of which issue plastic credit card size licences don’t.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls