Dress code for flights

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

• Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

Following the recent news that several “pass rider” passengers were stopped at the gate of a United Airlines flight for wearing leggings, Business Traveller would like to know if you have ever been denied boarding because of what you were wearing?

United says “your leggings are welcome”

openfly
    Participant

I refuse to wear a dress!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

No.

thebigseats
    Participant

No. Although I have seen some people that should have been refused in the interests of BAD taste. LOL.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Never happened to me but I’ve seen many who should have been denied boarding.

Most of my flying is for leisure, on charter airlines where the standard of dress is more relaxed. Even on scheduled flights, the fashion police should still be summoned. Guys, when you’ve lost the firmness of youth, leaving your shirt completely unbuttoned or wearing a vest/singlet may look great around the pool, but not on your flight home. Likewise my fellow females, wear loose fitting trousers instead of lycra crops that are two sizes too small!

Seriously, UA should have better communicated their dress code for “perk” ticket passengers so that this issue was resolved before they arrived at the airport. Would be interested to see a picture of the offending leggings…….

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Isn’t this more about whether an employer has the right to enforce a dress code? Not sure what the passenger was complaining about, she should have known the dress code for the flight OR been told by whoever gave/authorised the ticket. I wonder if “pass” privileges remain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36264229

In answer to your question – No, never. Although seeing how some pax slouch around the cabin after takeoff… well once in the air, they cant exactly be thrown off… 🙂

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

I think on one level having “employee” tickets and a dress code is fair enough. If the report was that they barred 10 years old – then the airline need to take a long hard look at themselves. They were kids for Christ sake, not adults and as such wouldn’t have “business” attire, or be should be subject to these rules (provided nothing had offensive slogans on). In the grand scheme of things – it is sad that this makes mainstream news when so many more important things going on the world which should draw our attention and energy.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

No. However, I do recall the QF lounges in SYD, BNE and PER displaying signs indicating that admission would be barred to those wearing any of the following:

Thongs (flip-flops to Brits)
    Trackies (tracksuits)
    Speedoes (aka budgie smugglers or swimming trunks)
    Singlets (string vests)

Despite this prohibition, each of the lounges seemed still to be pretty busy.

Flightlevel
    Participant

No,and the restriction on ten year olds wearing childrens clothes is completely ridiculous. Doesn’t say much for the airline’s standards!

canucklad
    Participant

Well done United for having dress code rules, just wish they and other airlines would extend it to to all customers.

Like PoshGirl I’ve seen quite a few examples of what I call “a triple F victim”

My list of Flying Fashion Frightmares starts with grown men, especially pot-bellied men triballing themselves up with overpriced walking adverts for booze, betting or loan companies.
    This catwalk of sin is particularly prevalent at GLA, but the blue and green parade occasionally migrates along the M8 corridor and can also be spotted at EDI.
    This ritual is almost bearable when departing the cool climate of Scotland, but absolutely intolerable when returning from sultrier sweaty hot spots.

Next on my list, requires dual synchronization, and I have to confess to breaking my girlfriends heart when I refused to participate in this fashion faux pas. Back in the day when shell suits weren.t just confined to the boulevards of Merseyside, the lovely Lorraine excitedly apportioned me with my half of the garish ensemble the night before our flight to Portugal. . Needless to say, my howls of laughter at the thought of matching shell suits for travel were met with tears and dismay at my lack of enthusiasm for this demonstration of love. This transgression has now trended towards track suits and sadly the victims still strut about like performing peacocks blissfully unaware that all around them, the rest of us are guffawing at their idiocy.

And finally a plea to all, it’s an aircraft not your living room . Some might think it’s acceptable just to stick an overcoat over your bed clothes for a quick nip down to Tesco, it’s not acceptable behaviour if your just nipping across an ocean or a continent.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

TimFitzgerald TC sums it up perfectly…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Urs. Many years ago flying BA JNB to NBO I went to check in for my first class flight wearing safari shorts. I was then told they could not accept me into First wearing shorts! I had to put on long trousers in order not to be placed in Economy where shorts were permitted!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

PS. I’m told I have very nice knees so that could not have been the problem ?

Edski777
    Participant

No. But KLM used to attach stickers regarding dresscode and code of conduct on staff travel tickets. Other airlines would send you an email or attached a memo. This was back in the ’90s. In the business class cabin you could easily spot your colleagues.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls