Douglas, IOM

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

Heading soon to Douglas, IOM, and looking for the best hotel with a see view, preferably with some history behind… Any suggestion?
    Thanks

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Beware of the long tails.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Seriously now, have a look at the Sefton

http://seftonhotel.co.im/

PS, don;t forget to wave to the fairies on the way there, from the airport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/isleofman/content/articles/2009/05/08/fairybridge_feature.shtml

NTarrant
    Participant

A few years back I stayed at the Claremont on the sea front and easy walk to the town centre. It was nice, comfortable room and nice kippers for breakfast

Swissdiver
    Participant

At the end, I never went to IOM in 2016. But I should be there in November this year. So I am wondering if any of you has any update. Of course, there is Tripadvisor (the Sefton is criticised while the Claremont seems all right). But I’d rather have your feedback. Thanks.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have been there twice but some years back. The best then was a 2.5 star pub whose name I cannot remember.
    It could well be the same situation today I suspect.

LondonViking
    Participant

I have family in Douglas so travel there usually twice a year and often stay in a hotel in Douglas on the promenade. I’ve tried most of the hotels and think the majority of them are pretty rubbish/dirty/old/etc.. We stayed at The Sefton in 2019 and it was awful. I’ve never had breakfast in a more depressing room in my life.

The Regency is our favourite out of all of them so I would recommend that one. Nice big rooms with an ocean view. Good breakfast on the ocean with nice service. The bar stocks calvados (a must!) and in the evening the restaurant called La Experience’ is busy with a good atmosphere and semi-decent food. The French onion soup is good.

2 users thanked author for this post.

CornishExile
    Participant

Another vote for The Regency, where we stayed this time last year. L’Experience was pleasant : food and service both of a good standard.

The Regency is located towards the northern end of the promenade, so a mile or more away from the town centre and ferry port but close to the electric railway terminal. There are few restaurants in the immediate vicinity of the hotel.

We enjoyed our long weekend on the Isle of Man. As with many seaside resorts, Douglas has perhaps seen better days. However there are some enjoyable coastal walks particularly in the southwest of the island, and the contrast with a trip up to Snaefell made for a short break we’d be happy to repeat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls