District 9

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

BT_IFE_Reviewer
    Participant

Flew recently on Delta with its AVOD IFE system – quite a large choice of films / movies. For what it’s worth, here are my thoughts on the two I watched:

District 9:

Sci-fi thriller with a lovely fresh slant on the alien theme: they come, they arrive, they are treated like refugees, herded into camps, dismissively referred to as “prawns” and are mistreated. Given that this all takes place in Jo-Burg, the parallels are clear.

The documentary style lasts only for the first half hour, and the satirical edge is lost as it becomes an effects-driven explosion fest, but it’s still a rollicking great film. Definitely watch.

PGuffrey
    Participant

Yes the edge was lost, but I don’t mind admitting that it was quite sometime before I’d noticed the documentary style had been given over to standard action. To me the transition was seamless, as was the main character’s metamorphosis from clown to hero.

There were definitely two distinct parts to this film, as if the cameraman filming the documentary had runaway when the action began. If you think about it, how could the film go on if he had, a sign that a lot more thought had gone into the film than you take at face value.

And who doesn’t like a good explosion, weren’t the alien weapons fantastic?

Overall a very clever film, just begging for a sequel. And how cute was the baby alien!

flyingbunny
    Participant

Agree – this is a great fun film and I loved the way it changed from one style to the other. It carries you all the way through the fantasy and lets you laugh at the dramatic stuff as well as be shocked and concerned… I liked the shock factor – the things you don’t ever want to happen to your body parts … makes you squirm. Definitely a sequel on the cards.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls