Direct Hotel booking or via aggregators…. my first expeience of a major saving

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• SwissExPat
    Participant

I generally book hotel stays with Hilton via their Hhonors App (and also now use Bonvoy occasionally).

I needed an overnight in JFK in November and did my usual search on the Hilton App and was surprised at the cost (€280 incl Taxes at a Hampton). Okay, all hotels looked more expensive than normal so there might be an event locally.

I tried Expedia (have had an account with them for years) and was able to get the same room (with same cancellation conditions) in the same hotel for €205 incl taxes. I made the booking with Expedia.

I’ll not get the Hhonors points etc and maybe loose out on faster wifi… but this is the largest saving I have seen in years of travelling.

I’ll check them more often in future!!

ASK1945
    Participant

I regularly book Hiltons and always check the Hhonours site first. Then, I go to one of the Expedia group (Hotels.com) and almost invariably the same room is available at a much reduced price, with the same conditions.

As you wrote, the points etc are not awarded, but Hotels.com add together the cost of every 10 rooms booked through them, then deposit an award credit of the average of this, to your account, to be applied against the cost of a future booking.

Eastbourneguy
    Participant

As a travel agent I find we can offer large savings than booking directly. With access to many agent bed banks we have been surprised how much the savings are

Yes, I agree, that booking directly gives you the points and rewards but ultimately you are paying for this with the higher rates

I’d rather tell our clients the difference of the costs and allow them to make their own minds up which costing they want

9 out of 10 take the savings

Also with a lot of the big chains you still have the benefit of checking out on line at the hotel as you will already have paid the supplier via the agent

If you choose a rate you cannot cancel this can be the only down side which is why we would always check with the client first

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls