Dining clients in London

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

robsmith100
    Participant

I have some American clients flying in to London next week. For many it will be there first time to the city and even though they are making there own travel arrangements, the Hotels that they have booked (even though good) don’t really offer a good English selection or quality of English food except an Italian, French American cuisine etc (why do they do this?)

Now bearing in mind I live 50miles outside of London in a remote part of Hampshire, I will be making my way into town for the three days they are here. I would like to bring them out to me but due to the constraints of logistics and time, it makes more sense for me to go into London. Does anyone have any good recommendation of where I can take my guests to eat for lunch? There will be four of us in total.

Another requirement that I need to arrange is a place for traditional afternoon tea on one of the days. I was hoping to avoid many of the big hotels as in the past I have found these to be very noisy and impersonal. So any recommendations for this?

Regards,

RS.

DianeBaxter6
    Participant

Although I have never had afternoon tea at The Goring, I always find that this lovely hotel a stone’s throw from Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station always offers excellent service.. Check out their website.

Regards, Diane

hamisha
    Participant

For lunch I would recommend the Wolseley in Piccadilly or Scotts in Mount Street Mayfair. Both serve superb food, with great service in very impressive surroundings and will be guaranteed to make the right impression with your clients and the Wolseley even does afternoon tea so with these two suggestions both of your requirements could be fulfilled.

NTarrant
    Participant

It is a shame that you don’t have time to bring your guests to one of the many establishments in Hampshire.

Can’t say about lunch, but afternoon tea, according to Mrs T is very good at the Savoy

Bullfrog
    Participant

@hamisha .. ‘love your profile name, if it is anything to do with food, taste and hospitality’.

I ate at the Orrery in Marylebone last Friday for lunch .. ‘outstanding’.

Foodies should check out chowhound.com

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I cannot recommend highly enough Boisdale in Belgravia or in the City, though the Belgravia one is more atmospheric. It’s Scottish so your guests can try Haggis. It is excellent, just don’t have them ask what’s inside until they have eaten it!!! They also have a great wine list. In the evening it becomes a private member’s club and you’ll have to pay to enter, but lunch time entry is free. You will need to book though.

http://www.boisdale.co.uk/belgravia/

For afternoon tea I would choose the Ritz (Jacket and I think tie are compulsory) or else Harrods which is just as good and more informal.

millionsofmiles
    Participant

I would go to Simpsons on Strand, near the Savoy.

Great location, beautiful place, nice pre-lunch bar, an example of GOOD English cuisine (potted shrimp, roastbeef from the wagon etc.)

I know I’ve missed the boat on this one, but I have a recommendation for those playing along at home that are looking for some info on a good, non-hotel style afternoon tea.

Bea’s of Bloomsbury – Holborn

Hands down the best value afternoon tea in the city. For £12 you get a scone, clotted cream and jam, a Bea’s signature cupcake, a brownie, a ‘Belgian Blondie’ and a mini meringue plus a pot of their very own Jing tea.

It’s not really about the money though, this place is quaint, personal and the food is amazing.

All the best,

Mike
    London Attractions Guide

robsmith100
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice, sorry for a late response but it totally forgot, as that was also a busy period for me.

In the end we opted for:

Roast (Borough market) – this was actually very expensive, but good food.
    Launceston Place (Kensington) – very good.
    Harrods – for afternoon tea, which was superb and good value!
    Brass Rail (Selfridges) – one of my favourites. It’s a Salt Beef Bar and a real gem.

We were unable to get in at some of the other places suggested due to availability, but do have them on my list for future events.

robsmith100
    Participant

If anyone is looking to eat out some where really special try Hendone on the Chiswick High Road, I thoroughly recommend it.

I didn’t pay as i was being treated by an old colleague, but I expect the bill to range between £60-80 per head inc wine.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/restaurants/review-23973822-hedone-w4—review.do

http://www.hedonerestaurant.com (the website is rather naff, but gives you sufficient contact detail)

VintageKrug
    Participant

The Goring is a great suggestion for Tea, though since the Royal Wedding it can take an age for a booking when before you just turned up.

Thankfully they know me and can usually accommodate. On a visit a few months ago, a Cardinal was enjoying a cup of tea standing at the bar in full regalia. A very pleasant fellow!

If you can’t get into The Goring, try the new Corinthia Hotel. Savoy, Claridge’s, Dorchester and The Ritz are better, but might be impossible to get into. Avoid the Connaught and The Berkeley for Tea, they’re a disappointment.

In my view it’s less about the food and more about the view which will be remembered about a business lunch; with that in mind you can’t go far wrong with a table at http://www.harveynichols.com/oxo-tower-london

The view of the City is terrific, though even better at night when lit up.

Though I wouldn’t go for Tea, Bob Bob Ricard is a great place for a drink and dinner; a particular favourite of mine as there is a bell on most of the tables labelled “PRESS FOR CHAMPAGNE”. Perfect!

http://www.bobbobricard.com/

Hktbound
    Participant

For afternoon tea with a twist try the Hendricks High Tea at Hush Restauant.
    They are still doing a promotion with Lastminute.com making it incredible value.
    Its a good restuarant as well.
    Also agree that the Wolseley is a great choice for dinner

KeaneJohn
    Participant

http://www.bahighlife.com/News-And-Blogs/Food-And-Drink-Blog/5-of-the-best-places-to-take-afternoon-tea-in-London.html

Not tried any of them but some definitely added to my to do list.

Last time I took my American Colleagues to afternoon tea I was seemingly the only British person there.

ScottCarey7

I was going to recommend Launceston Place, fantastic British food, glad you enjoyed it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls