Different Luggage Allowances for Business & Economy Class on same ticket

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• bobm
    Participant

I originally booked with BA & had all Business Class flights LHR-ORD-SDF-ORD-LHR with BA Transatlantic & AA for Domestic so luggage allowance was the same on all segments. AA cancelled their domestic flights which meant that I now fly AA out bound to ORD in Business Class & AA in Economy for the internal segments with BA Business Class from ORD to LHR. However I now have two different luggage allowances 2 Checked Bags at 32Kg for the transatlantic segments & 23kg for the internal segments. Does anyone know if Business Class Luggage allowance at 32kg succeeds the 23kg which I have on the domestic segments? Thank you.

mkcol74
    Participant

Normally the higher allowance will still apply to all sectors, however it’s best to check with the carriers.

I text Virgin Atlantic yesterday to ask similar question – flying economy & Upper (out & back) on the same ticket, however they apply the relevant allowance you would have for each flight. Am glad I checked.

bobm
    Participant

Thank you, I did call BA & they did not know but I will try AA & BA again to see, both websites have different information but I will call thank you for your help.

Ekond222
    Participant

…I’ve flown this route to Louisville on numerous occasions…and the ‘business class baggage allowance’ applies on when connecting to American Eagle on the same ticket…

bobm
    Participant

Thank you, I have been flying there for 20 years lovely airport & city

first_class_please
    Participant

If one ticket:-

When you fly in more than one cabin on a connecting journey, the baggage allowance for the most significant sector will apply to the whole journey, which is usually the longest flight.

If your journey includes a mix of BA and other airline codes (e.g. AA1122 or IB3210) you will get the allowance of the most significant carrier – usually the airline operating the longest part of the journey.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

capetonianm
    Participant

As others have said above, the general rule is that the higher allowance will apply to the entire journey as the fare basis is calculated on a business class fare throughout.

There are exceptions if voluntary stopovers and side trips take place but where it’s a connection it must be the higher allowance.

I did call BA & they did not know

That’s a disgrace but no great surprise.

bobm
    Participant

Thank you for your help, I was not really surprised, however I did call AA & they lady said to be “To be on the safe side I would recommend that you purchase Additional Luggage Allowance in advance” Are AA agents paid commission for “Upselling”?

Ahmad
    Participant

Sorry for being confused on your itinerary. Just because AA have cancelled their domestic segments doesn’t mean you now have to fly AA transatlantic outbound (unless of course there is a timing issue). So, have you changed your ticket to AA by cancelling the BA ticket or has BA simply rerouted you to fly AA outbound to ORD without your asking and reissued the ticket? If it is the former your allowances may well have changed. If not then I would take it up with BA if charged extra.

bobm
    Participant

Thank you for your response, BA have re-issued my ticket, due to flight connection times & have been placed onto AA for the outbound ticket. The Executive Club Agent did try to find a BA flight via DFW but the connections were too tight. There was very limited choice with BA who have appears to reduced their flights for the winter schedule so the only option was with AA.

Ahmad
    Participant

Pity but such are the risks of travel these days. I would insist BA honour the original luggage allowance unless the price of the ticket has changed (in which case you should have received a refund) and the luggage allowance may well have changed along with it. Unless the ticket shows otherwise, the check-in agent is likely to insist on the allowance showing in their system. If I were you, unfortunately I’d be prepared to pay extra.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls