Delays – What are my rights?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• O.C.D.P
    Participant

P.Sepsas to reiterate a previously mentioned point, the only contract that you enter into with the airline is to travel from point A to point B, there is no firm obligation as to how that happens or at what times.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Perhaps Craig Watson might explain just how it’s possible to get from London Heathrow to Leeds in 2 hours? Private jet perhaps….

Also remembering that my car is at Manchester airport – as i said, too many assumptions Craig.

Potakas
    Participant

Vita Brevis,

seems that I missed that.. thank God we are based in EU then and we can have some protection as passengers.

O.C.D.P
    Participant

P.Sepsas, I certainly wont be thanking god for the EU! but yes that is why such legislation is in place to protect passengers from excessive delays and disruption, but being such an unpredictable beast with all the variables air travel can never be relied upon 100% to deliver you to the destination at the originally agreed times. An ideal world it is not.

Potakas
    Participant

“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.”

KeaneJohn
    Participant

Seasonedtraveller whilst I have every sympathy to your plight you should be mindful of the contract that you enter into with the airline. I guess since the days of electronic ticketing we don’t have the pages of T&C and conditions of carriage to flick through anymore that tell us the airline will try and get you from A to B but doesn’t guarantee this or indeed when this will happen. For a 60 minute connection and a 30 min delay I too would be livid with SAS as you were on a through ticket.

I personally would have made more noises before departure from Aarhaus, in flight and at CPH as to what would happen to my connecting flight and I would definitely check with the ground staff meeting the aircraft what they would do for me.

I guess that I was lucky that on my flight the Captain came into the cabin before departure advising of our delay and that further information would be made available in flight for people with connections and true enough on arrival in ZRH there were minibuses and cars (for First class passengers) to take them to their onward flights. My luggage accompanied me in the minibus direct to my next aircraft. Did they say what caused the delay.. be interesting to hear what they say and what they do for you, but if you say you are as seasoned traveller as you claim to be I am surprised you didn’t make more noises before the missed connection.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

To KeaneJohn
    well, as is sometimes the case, I was assured by the cabin crew that the departing flight to Manchester was delayed and that if I went directly to the gate, I would make the flight. The aircraft was indeed still at the gate but since they had closed the door, I was denied boarding.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Well, SAS have responded by offering €500 vouchers against a future booking. I am satisfied with this. What really puzzles me though, is why, since i had no checked baggage, did they not offer to transport me directly to the gate (its a minimum 15 min walk/ run, in which case. I would most certainly still have made the connection?

craigwatson
    Participant

it is not as easy as that. If the load sheet was already done, then that would need ammending, which the back office does, as well the captain would not likely know you didnt have checked baggage and so would assume he would have to wait for baggage transfer.

in the end it comes down to captains decision, some would allow you to board, others would not

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls