Dank U Wel Koningin Beatrix.

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

Vertrek
    Participant

Just read the news that Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands is stepping down and preparing for the abdication of Her crown to his son Prince Willem-Alexander, this coming Queens Day.

I am not Dutch, but The Netherlands has a special place in my heart, I have lived there and I am now living here again, I spent Koninginnedag in Amsterdam almost every year to join my Dutch friends and family and nothing can compare to it, you Dutch people sure know how to celebrate!

For some people, the next Queens’ Day will be a sad one, a day to wave good bye to the Queen as she resign, it is also a day when many Dutch and the resident of the Netherlands will think back to remember and honour Her service and Her accomplishments; at the same time, the next Queens day will also be a joyful one, a day to mark a new era for The Kingdom of The Netherlands and it’s people.

I am sure most of us in this forum has visited The Netherlands either for business or holiday and walk by and cruise on the beautiful canals of Amsterdam or even party the night away in this most liberal city of the world.

Therefore, on behalf of all of the non-Dutch people who are living in The Kingdom of The Netherlands and from all of us here in the forum, cheers to Queen Beatrix and Congratulation to the soon to be the new King and Queen of The Netherlands, Prince Willem-Alexander and Princess Maxima, and of course, cheers to all of our Dutch friends in this forum.

Leve De Koning! =)

MarcusUK
    Participant

Indeed, well put.
    I have a residence here also, and watched here abdication speech a short while ago as it was made known.

The news indicated there would be an inauguration in April…but no Queens day this year!

A different party perhaps.
    Maybe KLM can theme an aircraft to mark her reign and her great place in the heart of The Dutch people, and all that is seen as Dutch?

HongKongLady
    Participant

Very sad news, I too have a great fondness for the Netherlands. I spent many happy times in various parts of the country. I agree that Queens day really does need to be experienced by everyone, the Dutch certainly know how to celebrate in a good natured way, no louts and certainly no aggression even when there is over crowding and chaos on the canals when everything that can float is afloat.

Vertrek
    Participant

It is weird but I somehow I feel sad too, just had drinks with German colleagues and they also said, “It is so weird, I never really care about the royalty, but I feel so empty with the news” and the whole table just agree and quiet for a while before someone say to The Queen!

Marcus: Perhaps this year “Queen’s day” is all about being sober and behaving well, haha…. It’s going to be weird right?

I think, during the inauguration, the new King will decide if he is going to keep the “King’s Day” as it is now at 30th April, or if he is moving it to his actual Birthday which according to Wikipedia is 27th April (was hoping that it’s somewhere after 30th April!) =p

HKLady: “…everything that can float is afloat” haha… so true!

Edski777
    Participant

Let’s make this upcoming April 30th a very special Queens day in Amsterdam. Let’s all go over to celebrate and be part of it.

After all the great celebrations I have attended in the past this one will be an even more memorable one.

Vertrek
    Participant

Edski,

Just informed some of my friends both in The UK and USA, and luckily they have booked their ticket last Autumn. However, we all decided to go to The Hague in stead, and book a hotel near The Royal Palace.
    Some of my friends who decided to stay in AMS and was looking for hotel in AMS, has booked Andaz for EUR 400/Night, as it is the only good hotel available, apparently the rest has been booked up. So, better book now if you want to come here. =)

Edski777
    Participant

Vertrek,
    Thanks for the warning, but I’ll be staying with friends in the Amsterdam area. Weather permitting we will go to Amsterdam on their boat. Beats any hotel anytime 😉

Looking forward to all of it already.

Edski777
    Participant

Dutch newspapers report a run on hotel rooms for April 30th since the announcement of the abication last night. Apparently all hotels in Amsterdam are fully booked.
    It’s gonna be fun…

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I remember the handover from Queen Juliana to Crown Princess Beatrix, seems like just yesterday.

Like Queen Elizabeth, she has been a credit in her role and I wish her and the new King well.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

I share in the general goodwill towards the Dutch people and good wishes to their beloved Queen.

I hope with three months’ notice, the BBC have enough time to learn how to say the new King’s name. It is positively criminal to pronounce his name – Willem – as if he was German. Listen carefully to the BBC clip below at about 1 minute 20 seconds and the unmistakeable H in “Wilhelm” appears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21237254

Oh dear oh dear oh dear ….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls