Cyprus Airways grounded

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

New is emerging this evening that Cyprus Airways has suspended operations.

The decision was made after the EC demanded that the airline repay Euros 65 million in illegal state aid.

http://atwonline.com/finance-data/cyprus-airways-suspends-operations?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+AtwDailyNews+%28ATW+Daily+News%29

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Sad news, although I know the writing has been on the wall for a long time. CY was my first scheduled flight many years ago.

esselle
    Participant

It will no doubt re-emerge shortly as Cyprus Airlines/Cypriot Airways/Cyprus Air…………….

Poshgirl58
    Participant

A sad day. Brought down by poor management and inability to recognise their problems. A legacy carrier that couldn’t compete. I remember conversation with their chief pilot’s wife in departure lounge at BHX, when CY’s problems were starting, that was 10 years ago. A small country that has now experienced the demise of both CY and Eurocypria.

My cynical view is that it will re-emerge with a different name but with the same problems if those who oversaw demise are involved in rescue plans.

openfly
    Participant

Ryanair will now get it for a song. Mollie must be celebrating!

WillieWelsh
    Participant

Before CY can be reinvented it will have to have a viable business model. Somehow I don’t see that happening and the low costs along with A3 will be in and the market will be sewn up within a couple of weeks.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Taking a break from a brain-numbing task, I have just read the offering from DM about CY hiding their planes at St Athan, to avoid seizure. Truth more likely to be that they have been returned to the leasing company, who are storing them there. DM is becoming a joke!

esselle
    Participant

I would expect Aegean to take over assets/routes/staff in the near future, having decided what they want to have going forward. The rest will be forgotten.

BigDog.
    Participant

Saving the leased aircraft for the future one hopes….

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-30798375

MrMichael
    Participant

In the early nineties when I lived in Oslo I stayed a night at a Trust
    House Forte hotel at LHR on the Bath Road, I think the place is now called The Edwardian. I was in the bar until about 1am having a few, as was a Cyprus Airways captain in uniform, George his name was. He was drunk and refused service by the barmaid much to his disgust. He then did a DYKWIA using his name, rank and airline. I thought no more about it until next day at T2 when I saw him approaching the Larnaca flight as I went to my SAS to Oslo gate, it was about 7am. I did not get the impression he was deadheading and thanked my lucky stars I was not heading for Cyprus. I did not report my concerns, I should have done so. However I vowed then never to fly Cyprus Airlines in the future…..and never did.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls