Current rulings relating to EU Rule 261/2004

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• DavidGordon10
    Participant

Many thanks for all the helpful comments. The point about “was the aircraft properly maintained” (Ian_from_HKG and MartinJ) is, I think, the one where LH are arguing to me that the delay was not their fault.

Wish me luck!

BigDog.
    Participant

A slight drift though you may find today’s EU Supreme Court ruling of interest..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/11201296/Flight-delay-compensation-open-to-millions-of-passengers.html

…The Supreme Court’s decision will allow passengers to claim up to six years after a delayed flight, and will force airlines to pay out even when aircraft are held back due to routine mechanical or electrical problems…

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Having, at the start of this year, had dealings with Monarch after a cracked windscreen mysteriously escalated to a windscreen that “shattered in flight” (full details are in one of my earlier posts, Feb or March), I’ve now handed it over to one of the ambulance chasers.

Interestingly, Monarch has ignored all their legal correspondence and applications and we will see what happens next.

openfly
    Participant

I had a 7 hour delay on a long haul BA flight about a year ago. I decided to claim under EU261 but was unsure if I qualified as it was due to a tech problem with the aircrafts previous flight.

I filled in one form that was available on BA.com. Very easy.

Bingo. Six weeks later I received the equivalent of €600. No problems at all. Well done BA.

Swissdiver
    Participant

More than once I could have claimed compensation… But when the airline does the right thing, I tend not to claim. Last year, I even gave a Golden Ticket to a CSD on a 5 hours delayed flight because he truly did a great job to accommodate us. Some could view this as forgoing EUR 600. I rather see it as fairness… So, for me, rather than the facts, I privilege the way the problem is dealt with…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Swissdiver – 09/11/2014 08:36 GMT
    +1

DavidGordon10
    Participant

As the OP, let me add a follow-up.

A credit from LH did eventually appear in my credit card accout (without notification) – about £200, presumably for the downgrade from business to economy.

Rather than getting into more of an argument with LH about whether or not they had liability for the delay, I put that in the hands of http://www.refund.me on 1 October. I have heard nothing.

Openfly – you did well to get something from BA after six weeks. My record with them was a year, for a flight to LED cancelled because of a dusting of snow: the snow being in London, of course, not in St Petersburg.

JohnHarper
    Participant

Swissdiver +1 though I do point out to the airline that I could claim but I am not because of the excellent way in which they handled the disruption and that they treated me well – this sort of behaviour and empowerment of staff is to be encouraged.

When you meet the opposite sort of attitude I do claim and pursue it in the county court at the earliest opportunity if the payment is not made. I also often then point out that if their staff had behaved reasonably I would not be claiming at all.

RajTravel
    Participant

Very Interesting article on the BT website. The stats cracked me up.

I’ve had awful experiences with Emirates and Lufthansa customer service people after delays. They’re too big to care.

As you’ve all said, often the way it’s handled can make all the difference.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Way back in ancient history, seasonedtraveller advised me to go to http://www.refund.me

It was excellent advice. Today, I have a note from them with €600 compensation from LH for the delay. Some months ago I also received something direct from LH for the downgrade from business to economy.

So, all is well that ends well, LH could try burnishing their image by responding promptly and fairly, and I recommed http://www.refund.me without reservation!

canucklad
    Participant

Cheers David,
    A timely resurrection of the topic. My pal and his lass were caught up with the NATs carry on a couple of weeks ago, because his flight was technically delayed prior to the chaos. He ended up having to stay overnight and worse his girlfriend had to cancel her own birthday do, disappointing family and friends.

I’m sure Flybe will cite extraordinary circumstances outside of their control, but I’ve suggested that he argues if there hadn’t been a 2 hour “fuel leak” delay he would have been safely back in Edinburgh before NAT’s computers forced him into an overnight stay.
    I’ve passed on the website details, so thanks also to seasonedtraveller.. : )

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

DavidGordon& Canucklad – Happy to help 🙂

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Once again this forum proves its worth. We’re fortunate to be part of such a knowledgeable group and a group willing to take the time to share their knowledge and experience.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

And, incidentally, http://www.refund.me ask users to “like” them on Facebook, but publicity here must also be valuable to them.

So, LP, I absolutely endorse what you say. I reckon this forum has saved me a lot of money over the last two or three years – £2 or £3K.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls