Cross Rail Trains

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

RichHI1
    Participant

THe Government have announced that the trains for Cross Rail need to benefit the UK economy.

My question is how can this best be achieved whilst getting the best rolling stock at the best prices?

THere was consternation when the new Eurostar order went to the Germans yet in the snow the Hitachi trains used by SouthEastern were far more reliable than the Eurostars.

I do not want to start a debate about whether we should buy British or Outsource to smash the Unions, like so many of these threads. I am more concerned how can we get the best and benefit UK Plc without paying too much?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

You raise an interesting point …

I can’t comment on rolling stock orders but is it fair to compare the existing international Eurostar snow performance with that of the Hitachi domestic trains ?

I am not a rail expert but I believe the two trains are different as a) the Eurostars are more complex and endure different operating conditions, maintenance etc to the Hitachi trains b) the current Eurostars have older, (by 15 years ?) perhaps less developed technology than the Japanese-made trains.

Just my thoughts …

LeTigre
    Participant

RichHI1, unfortunately, purchasing trains is not like going to Argos as the train companies must first submit a bid in order to be considered. Hitachi apparently chose not to participate in the Eurostar tender and so it was simply between Siemens and Alstom. Siemens trains are easier to finance, and are the most comfortable around. Also, Hitachi does not have proven experience installing the electronics needed for cross-border running, essential in the planned services to Amsterdam, Geneva, and Frankfurt, etc.

Ellwood
    Participant

Was one of the problems with the Eurostars the temperature differentiation between operating in the tunnel where it was warm and then outside where it was very cold?

The Southeastern trains do not have to cope with this problem as far as I am aware.

Ed

LeTigre
    Participant

Japanese trains in general are far better at coping with tunnels due to the attention to detail that Japanese engineers put in, but besides, I believe the Channel Tunnel never gets very hot.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes the Japanese are renowned for their attention to detail but their long underwater Seikan Tunnel (comparable to our Channel Tunnel) is, as far as I know, not used by their high-speed Shinkansen trains at the present time.

The UK domestic Hitachi trains are not permitted to operate through the Channel Tunnel because of the complex rules governing the types of train which can use it.

RichHI1
    Participant

So what about Crossrail? Bombardier (Candian) were miffes Siemens got THameslink and they are lobbying for Cross Rail. Should they just get the contract or would it be better to have Siemens or Hitachi trains made in a factory in UK? FOr if the UK GOvernment is going to copy its European neighbours and demand trains benefit UK economy then there will a reversal of trend and it could be financially viable for Siemens, Hitachi, another or a collaboration to invest in facilities.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls