Covid 19 – UK over 50’s booster.

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• thecartoonman
    Participant

Have just received a text message from my local GP Surgery advising they are now booking appointments from mid-October for the 2nd Covid booster and at the same time a flu jab.

As many of you are very seasoned travellers, do you think moving forward that ‘fully vaccinated status’ for UK citizens over 50 will now mean you will have to have had the 2nd booster, even though those under 50 are not being offered it and so will only have had the 1st one.

Have to say, I am not immediately rushing to book having had 3 and also Covid, that said, if it becomes a definite requirement for easy travel then, of course, I will offer up my arm.

ASK1945
    Participant

It’s a little too soon to know when or if the flight authorities in some countries will insist upon 2 boosters, or not.

However, I had my 2nd booster (ie fourth jab) in April and had no adverse reaction afterwards. I have been having an anuual flu jab for over 40 years and have never had flu since then (I say with my fingers crossed for this year!), so I recommend it if your GP has invited you to have one.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jon Arnold
    Participant

I’m over 50 and I’ve not had any boosters and as far as I can see most countries are pulling away from requiring vaccinations for entry. In Europe it’s only Holland that are requiring you to be fully jabbed – that includes a booster or your last jab to be no more the 270 days ago, to get in. That’s if you’re not an EU citizen. There’s not even a testing option. Nowhere else in Europe is this restricted. And for the USA and Canada you only need the 2 jabs. And with the CDC relaxing covid rules I’m pretty sure they will relax those travel restrictions too. When, who know!

So to answer your question I think it’s massively unlikely any country will require you to be double boosted. The whole vax thing will simply be quietly dropped. After all it isn’t stopping people getting or transmitting covid. So mandating it achieves little, other than damaging countries inbound tourism and business travel.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Whilst I will be at the front of the Q for my 4th vaccine when invited, I really think the showing of proof of vaccine is a now total waste of time. My last vaccine was October last year, I tested positive, for the first time 6 weeks ago (a light cold) and it lasted 5 days. I guess those without booster shots, could be well over a year from their last vaccine.

Thailand will downgrade covid to the same disease category from October.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2364071/govt-to-lower-covid-to-same-disease-category-as-influenza

3 users thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I hope the need for proof of vaccination just goes away. I have had all three jabs whilst iiving in Spain together wth an EU certificate but having returned to the UK permanently the 4th jab will be in the UK and I am sure that jab cannot be added to my EC certificate or the EC jabs added to my new NHS “certificate/app”. Does anyone know if some countries are still insisting on the last jab not being more than 270 days?

Hktbound
    Participant

CathayLoylist2 – I also live in Spain and had one of my vaccinations in the UK
    You can (fairly) easily add your 4th UK jab to your EU passport but it is best done in person next time you are in Spain at your previous health centre.
    The nurse will take the details of the batch etc and record the 4th jab as being done abroad and it will immediately be reflected on your EU Certificate for travel.
    I did try to do mine remotely but it proved impossible so I made an appointment and did the admin in the local health centre.
    Hope this helps

3 users thanked author for this post.

Jon Arnold
    Participant

Pretty sure most EU countries don’t have a 270 expiration on the booster jab and therefore you won’t need a 4th. In fact most countries are abandoning ALL covid restrictions. I’m only double jabbed and can get into most of the world. Holland being the only exception in Europe. Check the country here; https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice and have a look at this very helpful page: https://www.kayak.co.uk/travel-restrictions

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Slovakia has a 270 day expiry. I was there a couple of weeks ago and my 3rd jab was just within the validity.

However, I went by road from Vienna and there were no border checks at all, as per Schengen normal practice, so it wouldn’t have mattered if I had exceeded the 270 days.

Regards,

Simon

theworldtraveller
    Participant

I won’t be going anywhere near booster jabs. What’s the point when they don’t stop you getting it or passing it on – internet full of a small minority that are affected badly by the jab, I would rather just have covid !

DerekVH
    Participant

[postquote quote=1229337]

It is not designed to stop you passing it on or indeed from catching COVID, the jab is designed to stop you getting seriously ill. If you go into any Hospital in the UK there are still a significant number of patients with COVID related illnesses, many in Intensive Care. I strongly suspect it is mainly a risk for people with underlying Health Conditions but, as with taking the annual flu jab, I would rather be safe than end up on a ventilator in ITU. I respect it is personal choice but I will be among the first in the queue when it is available.

9 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls