Corporate Gifts for Customers in Saudi Arabia

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

travelwell
    Participant

hi, sorry not really a travel question more of a business culture question. Anyone have any suggestions for a gift / award which would be appropriate to give to a customer based in Saudi Arabia, (local Saudi national). A high level senior person. thanks

Papillion53
    Participant

Something unique from your country?

E.g. From Scotland, obviously not Whisky, but maybe a very nice granite paperweight for their desk, or a piece of glassware. Maybe personalised?

I have a granite paperweight in the shape of a curling stone about the size of a tangerine which sits on my desk – it was a gift to us on a corporate event.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I would always give a Waterman fountain pen, one of the expensive Chinese lacquered ones. It was always appreciated and used. If you see a certain oil minister on TV signing a document and think what a nice pen he has – well it came from me!!!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Just a word of caution – if you or your company are British, or if your company has an office in the UK (even if you work for an office outside the UK), do be aware of the issues under the UK Bribery Act. If you or your company are American, be aware of the issues under the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.

This whole area is a minefield.

If you want more info, post again here and I can try to dig out some links for you.

SimonS1
    Participant

I agree with the above. Used to live there – very tricky area but most Saudis will appreciate the thought of something personal like a pen or paperweight.

The Bribery Act is a complete minefield and it usually comes down to the circumstances or ‘proportionality’ and whether it has been declared by the giver. I don’t think either of the above would be unreasonable.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

Unfortunatley, SimonS1, proportionality isn’t the only factor (in fact you could argue that in some circumstances it isn’t a factor at all), and declaration is not, in and of itself, a “get out of jail free” card (and I mean that quite literally)

Papillion53
    Participant

I asked my DH about this – oil industry/US company – their take is if a gift can be used on your desk, or can be eaten, then it’s OK. But we are talking small, inexpensive items of course.

So I think taking this into account a nice pen, or small desk trinket would be fine.

HM the Queen exchanges gifts with her hosts on her visits. Could be loosely interpreted the same way, as aren’t her visits often seen as the pomp and ceremony advance party of trade visits? Just saying! And if its good enough for the Queen, well …. I don’t think a small gift, chosen carefully, would be awkward.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

I have been to Saudi many times and I’ve done business with many elites there. I recommend you gift the guy a classy Mont Blanc pen or a Gucci wallet.

For sure it will work like magic believe or not. These are the two most common items that saudis care about and always carry with them in their thobs.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Knowing a Saudi client enjoyed a tipple, a friend of mine without thinking took 3 bottles of Chateau Margaux with him to Jeddah! He was so lucky they were only confiscated. Not to be recommended!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls