Controlling cabin luggage the Australian way

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

• Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

The place: Hobart airport, domestic departures lounge

The time: 45 minutes before the departure of flight JQ722 to Sydney

The scene: a queue of passengers having their hand luggage weighed and size-checked.

Any bags under the size and weight limit received a cabin pass label – which was rigorously checked when we boarded. Any bags over either the size or the weight limit did not, was checked in (cost A$60) or left behind. No arguments. No exceptions. No complaints. No fuss.

And no problems on the plane with over-filled overhead lockers.

WHY CAN’T EUROPE’S AIRLINES DO THIS?

3 users thanked author for this post.

TominScotland
    Participant

Cedric, in fairness, other LCCs like Ryanair and Wizz have tried this and have new rules in place – I don’t know how they work. I am not sure that Qantas would be quite as hard=nosed as JQ (even though they are the same company).

PeterCoultas
    Participant

It would be a big plus if the airlines could actually get together and actually agree a standard size for hand luggage. I flew a lot with US airlines where maximum H-B length was 56 cm only to discover that Qantas on the same routes restricted to 50 cm, a total pain. Equally frustrating, H-B on BA can be more or less as heavy as you can lift while my wife’s bag on Qantas (economy) was 2 kilos over (their limit I believe was 8 Kilos) and they wanted it checked.

6 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=921320] Any bags under the size and weight limit received a cabin pass label – which was rigorously checked when we boarded. Any bags over either the size or the weight limit did not, was checked in (cost A$60) or left behind. No arguments. No exceptions. No complaints. No fuss.
    WHY CAN’T EUROPE’S AIRLINES DO THIS?[/quote]

I have often thought about this, when I am hampered boarding or finding space for my carry on bag. Personally I always keep strictly within cabin baggage limits, including weight, why, [1] I like abiding by rules, [2] it seems only sensible.

Why can’t airlines do this? I have concluded (rightly or wrongly) that airlines don’t want to upset people, perhaps especially elite members. It doesn’t make much sense, though – people get upset after boarding with the current lax rule application, anyway.

rferguson
    Participant

[quote quote=921320]The place: Hobart airport, domestic departures lounge

The time: 45 minutes before the departure of flight JQ722 to Sydney

The scene: a queue of passengers having their hand luggage weighed and size-checked.

Any bags under the size and weight limit received a cabin pass label – which was rigorously checked when we boarded. Any bags over either the size or the weight limit did not, was checked in (cost A$60) or left behind. No arguments. No exceptions. No complaints. No fuss.

And no problems on the plane with over-filled overhead lockers.

WHY CAN’T EUROPE’S AIRLINES DO THIS?[/quote]

WHY CAN’T EUROPE’S AIRLINES DO THIS?

They can. But they generally choose not to. Why? Because of the competitive advantage lost by limiting the amount of hand baggage.

Cabin crew at BA are always begging the company to bring in tighter rules to help with orderly and hassle free boarding. The company line is that most customers on short haul flights hugely value travelling with hand baggage only and that if BA were to bring in stringent rules people would simply choose to fly with a carrier that allows them to take on more.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

This morning at Luton (Easyjet) I am expecting the normal scene where because everyone has a roll-on piece of hand baggage after the first 50/75 Easyjet Plus passengers the rest have their roll-on hard sided hand baggage checked compulsory (but for no charge).

No one seems to mind too much now.

They just take out laptops and valuables and leave it at the foot of the steps as they board.

Cedric_Statherby
    Participant

[quote quote=921368]This morning at Luton (Easyjet) I am expecting the normal scene where because everyone has a roll-on piece of hand baggage after the first 50/75 Easyjet Plus passengers the rest have their roll-on hard sided hand baggage checked compulsory (but for no charge).[/quote]

Tom – this proves my point that European airlines have lost the struggle. Everyone is of course used to this, as you say, and is gaming the system to get their hold luggage checked for free. Since they expect it, they don’t mind, and if they can sneak the bag into the cabin it is a bonus. I strongly suspect the bags all have locks and all have anything the passengers really need or cannot leave in hold luggage (passports, phone, etc) removed before the gate farce.

The point is that passengers can in time (probably quite a short time) get used to whatever way the airlines choose to play things. That was part of the thinking in my initial post (ie, that there was no fuss at the Jetstar gate in Hobart because everyone expected the process) and comments by other contributors to this thread have reinforced the point. I just happen to believe that, once one is used to it and expects it, Jetstar’s way of doing things is infinitely superior to anything we see in Europe. Fairer, clearer, quicker …

capetonianm
    Participant

passengers can in time (probably quite a short time) get used to whatever way the airlines choose to play things

Frog in pot syndrome at its worst.

canucklad
    Participant

The regulatory authorities is the simple answer.
    Across the industry it’s an inconsistent mess . And a mess of the airlines own making.

rfergusons comments demonstrate BA’s current lack of reality. Their business model relies on transit traffic. An A320 is not a 777, yet the airline sees them as the same. And I can assure BA, they’re pi**ing people off at EDI with their ineptitude.

I’d challenge any frequent flyer on here to tell me the specifics of our 5 main airlines (lets forget European carriers) policies,without researching first. It’d be easier trying to the find the floor in teenagers bedroom .

Airlines have proven that they are incapable of spotting the blindingly obvious, mainly due to their greed, so it’s time the CAA made the decision for them.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The only regular airport I use that has consistent hand baggage policy are the BA gates in AMS. Even me, a very important VIP/DYKWIA traveller, with my cheap jeans, Primark T shirts and trainers, carrying a Gold card (from my library) will NEVER try to get more hand luggage past these eagle eyed, not willing to budge non BA staff, gate agents.

However frustrating it can be, especially if I’ve picked up some booze, I sometimes wish (not often I hasten to add) that other airports adopted and maintained these strict rules.

Sure I am sometimes as guilty as the next person of taking excessive cabin bags, but at least in AMS, I know the rules are strictly enforced & not just at the gate. If I need to collect a boarding pass at check in, my hand baggage is checked..

christ
    Participant

It really depends on the route as I have had a number of items stolen. It may be fine in countries such as Australia or Singapore where crime is low – however certain other regions, I will maximize my hand luggage. I do not see BA short haul planes being any worse than US domestic carriers for hand luggage. Admittedly if I am in first on BA long haul, I probably do take more than the allowed amount and have never had an issue – however if I am connecting on to a domestic flight, I then try to stick around the limits (the issues I see is with some who come off with loads from the premium cabins in BA and then transfer at T5 and as someone else said an a320 does not have the space of a 747 / 380).

I think it is a no win position for an airline. I do not have a huge issue with American approach (and BA, though I have rarely seen) of gate checking bags and have never kicked up a fuss (or on Qantas). Also in those circumstances, I have never lost anything.

On BA, I also think an issue can be that even as an emerald, you can wait ages for your bag and it can be last (and that is whatever class). I have flown a lot with American and Qantas and the bag is always one of the first few out as they seem to be handle luggage better – I do not understand why BA cannot. Today was the first time my bags were out early on in BA and perhaps that is as I boarded at Singapore and alighted at Sydney and so maybe it is dealt by Qantas staff at Sydney. If BA sorted out priority tagging which meant something, I would be more inclined to check in a bag.

MarcusGB
    Participant

Indeed in Australia, not just at check in, even before Security sometimes your bags are put in the appropriate Airline bag measuring device.
    I agree with the many of the comments made, and it should be in Europe, agreed, at least to for full service Airlines.

I think part of the problem is the revenue raising with charging for a hold bag, varying on many Airlines, which states the obvious, but really it is a confused model, a shift between traditional carriers and LCC’s. Charging a full fare, then wanting charges for yr bags, seat, even (such as BA), buying food and drinks on board.
    This is all low cost, down market if played out on traditional carriers, certainly in Europe. It would be better if the dividing line had stayed between the two types of carriers, but in fact both have moved towards the other side, each setting their own allowances for baggage. So i stick to my own Airline group.

I fly KLM within Europe, and ex UK there are always issues once on board with hand baggage, no matter what size aircraft are used. KLM need to enforce the policy strictly, on the ground, and not leave it to the mediation skills of the crews to manage. To me, there is a disconnect between ground staff (often agents or non Airline employed) in all areas, and crew communication, and comfort of storage on board.
    This when most flights i take with KLM, long and short haul, are nearly always full in all cabins.

I always bring the correct amount normally a business haversack type of bag for European trips, and it annoys me when i am asked to remove my bag to put it on the floor under the seat! If i have technology in there, money, cards, valuables, Travel documents, Business items etc, that can be high value.
    i do not want them on the floor, and have previously had people drop coffee and food on them. I also had a watch stepped on inside by someone next to me, not discovered until after. I have also seen people have drinks dropped on them, which has destroyed medication they are carrying, and was very distressing.
    Bare in mind also, that Insurers will NOT cover yr baggage if you have placed it on the floor, they regard it as your risk, and clearly unsafe, not a responsible behaviour.

The floor is also not a hygienic place, and you would be shocked to see if you made swaps of yr bags, what pathologically you would pick up. After all, how often do we actually wash or clean your Carry on Board bags as many are unable to be cleaned. What have hundreds of people shoes stepped through that your bag is now contaminated with?
    I try to alcogel mine every now n then where possible, but this can be limited to handles zips, and depends on the material.
    Consider what yr bag is exposed to just going through security each time…exposed to thousands of bags each day and what they hold. Only in Amsterdam and The Far East, have i seen these baggage belts and areas cleaned with proper antibacterial methods!

My valuables and essential items i carry in the far less than a maximum bag, have a right to be protected and not damaged, or smashed by others bringing huge overweight oversized, and too many bags on board. I am vocal about it if asked. I would encourage everyone to know, and refer to The Policy of the Airline they fly, and quote it back if asked to move your bags, a right to protection or be damaged, or on the dirty floor.
    Perhaps then, Airline staff will realise that they have to apply the policy, as we are expected to abide by it.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think the Cedric’s idea some years ago remains the best solution and should be implemented asap.

All checked bags should free
    All cabin baggage should be charged

That will soon solve the problem…

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Yesterday my wife and I flew from BRU on EZY. We are EZY+ card holders which entitles us to Speedy Boarding and 2 pieces of CBBG each. We also had two items of paid hold baggage.

When I went to the Bag Drop the lady asked about our CBBG, I pointed to my wife, waiting with it and she immediately said : “You’ll have to check that in, you’re only allowed one piece each.” When I questioned this she said “Oh you’re Speedy Boarding” in quite an unpleasant manner, as if I’d ‘caught her out’. I got the feeling she was trying to be difficult as she then made us put each piece into the baggage gauge, although it was clearly well below the permitted size.

Through security and at the gate we were again told quite aggressively that we couldn’t take a second piece on board, and again : “Oh you’re Speedy Boarding” in a very grudging manner. As we were in the SB queue it should have been obvious, and she should have engaged brain before opening mouth!

I add my voice to those who wish for consistency and proper enforcement. I don’t break or bend the rules, and it annoys me when others do.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@capetonianm – do you know whether staff are on a bonus scheme for collecting additional revenue on this manner…?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls