Compensation due to a flight delay?

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Mike Tucker
    Participant

Recently I flew to the Philippines with Qatar the first leg was a code share with BA, so a BA crewed plane, the second a Qatar plane. Unfortunately the BA plane was declared U/S during the pre flight checks and a replacement plane had to be found. This resulted in a delayed take off with a knock on effect of me missing my connecting flight in Doha as we didn’t arrive until 02.00hrs and my connecting flight left at 01.25hrs. The text I received from BA stated that if there was a chance I would miss my connection they will automatically rebook my onward journey. BUT because the fist plane was badged BA and the second Qatar this didn’t happen I had to queue for over two hours at the Qatar customer services desk to sort out an onward flight. I managed to get booked onto the next Manila flight departing at 08.30hrs and catch a bus to my final destination instead of waiting for the next Clark flight at 01.25hrs, hotel accommodation was offered with that option. My question is am I entitled to compensation as I was approximately 12 hours late getting to my destination and if so who from?

FDOS
    Participant

On the face of it (and I am assuming the BA flight was ex UK, which it appears to be), BA would be on the hook for an EC261 payment of £520, so long as the event was not caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken.

The text from BA and the subsequent lack of rebooking would ask the question whether they took all reasonable measures, ieven if the event was extraordinary.

Your first action is to request EC261 compensation from BA Customer services. If they say no, ask them to state that their decision will not change and then consider raising a case with CEDR https://www.cedr.com/consumer/aviation/

This alternative dispute resolution approach has very limited risk ( a few pounds, if they find against you) and they are good at delaing with non-complex cases like this one.

Best of luck.

2 users thanked author for this post.

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your delay, which is delay all to common at BA these days, although your lucky it was not cancelled which is also a BA norm! if at all possible I suggest to my corporate customers to avoid BA at all costs!

BA pays the compo, and they operated the first leg of your trip so are responsible for the late arrival. good luck! https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/delayed-or-cancelled-flights

FormerBA
    Participant

There are two issues here.

1. duty of care

This applies irrespective of the reason for the original delay. It includes accommodation, food and means of communicating.

2. EU261 – this applies when the delay was within the control of BA. A technical issue would meet that condition.

Claim this via BA.com

Mike Tucker
    Participant

I’m pleased to report that today I received a very apologetic letter from BA along with notification of a compensation payment and they are going to reimburse me for my expenses as well. A good result all round, thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls