Commuter gets £27K after "possibly slipping " on pigeon poo at Paddington Stn

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Don’t understand this. The pigeons warn you calling:
    “Look at the poo” “Look at the poo” ” Look at the poo”

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

How is this even possible? How is Pigeon poo the station’s fault? Can Paddington sue the city or animal control for not dealing with their their flying rat poo bombers? Where does it end? Reminds me of the woman suing in the USA and winning, saying the coffee she bought at a McDonalds drive through burned her thighs as she put the cup between her thighs when she drove of, squeezed her legs spilling the coffee and burned her legs. She sued on the basis that the coffee was too hot, and won!!! Or the best one being a person who ate Skippy Peanut Butter, has a nut allergy, and sued that there was no ‘nut warning’ on the jar. What did he think Peanut Butter was made of, grapes? I used to say, ‘only in America,’ but I guess the UK is just as litigious. When did people stop taking responsibility for their own stupidity?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Andrew
    Participant

Was the person a really commuter or an ordinary passenger? There is a difference, which is being eroded by sloppy reporters (like ‘reticent’ and ‘reluctant’).

1 user thanked author for this post.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

No operator of a large building which, of necessity, has an enormous hole at one (at least!) end in order to let trains in and out is going to be able to avoid pigeons flying in. And once they’re in, they’re going to crap. It’s inevitable. It shouldn’t be a huge surprise to people in train stations that there will be pigeons, or pigeon poo.

Anyone walking through one of these buildings who doesn’t have a visual handicap should, IMHO, be (literally) looking out for themselves and watching where they tread.

As you can gather I have very little sympathy.

Operators of installations and public facilities doubtless have a duty of care to those who legitimately pass through, but honestly – 27 grand for slipping on pigeon poo?? What next, 100 grand for a swimmer who slipped on a wet floor in a swimming pool changing room?

PS I hate pigeons. They’re alright if cooked properly, but while they’re alive they’re a bloody nuisance. Rats of the skies….

5 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

If you look at it another way, Network Rail is actually winning this financial game of poo……

They’ve paid out close to 1 Million in compensation thanks to our feathered friends (or Rats if your Ian) shitting all over the place, yet have raked in 4.8 million from charging customers who need to people poo.

I calculate that the pigeons are ahead by 3.8 million. Now if only Network Rail could train those pesky birds to pay to poo in the facilities poovided HS2 might come in at a fraction of the cost.

On a side note, I presume English pigeons must poo out banana skins compared to Scottish pigeons pooing out chewing gum by the disparity in pay-outs between the countries?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Andrew
    Participant

I thought toilets at stations were now free to use – since early this year?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls