Combining train tickets with same operator

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

What are the rules about combining train tickets?

North London to Gatwick on Thames Link

I can use my 60+ Oyster card from north London to East Croydon (1 stop before Gatwick). Gatwick being outside of the Oyster Zone. Am I allowed to buy in advance an East Croydon to Gatwick ticket and remain on the train from North London or am I expected to either buy a through ticket (from North London) or get off the train and go through the barriers at East Croydon, before using the East Croydon to Gatwick ticket.

TYIA..

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi Martyn,

Unless the rules have changed, there should be no problem with “split ticketing”, especially with the same operator.

When I worked in Southampton, a First Class Single from Leamington Spa was around £120 (if memory serves). I would buy (on line) one ticket to Banbury, and then another from Banbury to So’ton. These were Advance Purchase Singles. This cost me something like £70.00, so a significant saving. I sat in the same seat for the whole journey and would show the guard both tickets. I remember once, the guard said “Smart move!”

I don’t know if things are different when an Oyster Card is involved, but I can’t see why.

I know that problems occurred in the past when people would buy a ticket to a station beyond their destination (as it was cheaper, for some reason) and then have problems when they tried to alight at an earlier station.

Simon

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks Simon, I know also with a standard Oyster card you do need to tap in and tap out to avoid a maximum daily fare charge, therefore you were forced to get off and tap out before continuing to ensure economy.

However, I am presuming for us ‘oldies’ using an Oyster 60+ there is no need to tap out as there is no charge anyway… except of course if you travel in during morning rush hour….

FrequentTraveller
    Participant

[postquote quote=1212556]

I was about to mention, don’t you have to tap out at East Croydon so the system knowns that is the end of your Oyster journey. As to whether that also applies to 60+ Oyster I don’t know. I think you need to check with Thamslink, as there is conflicting information on the following page:

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tickets/oyster-contactless-and-plusbus/oyster

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn

I have done this journey many times without difficulty to stations from East Croydon to the South Coast (including LGW). Just buy a return ticket from East Croydon to LGW.

You have a Freedom card, not an Oyster card, so there is no need to get off the train at East croydon in either direction.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1212611]You have a Freedom card, not an Oyster card,[/quote]

I have an Oyster 60+ London card. According to the London Councils application portal, I have another 10 years to wait until I can apply for a Freedom Pass.

Still a young man 🙂

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn

I did respond earlier, but it hasn’t appeared. I will try again.

Sorry, i didn’t know about the change since I got my (London) Freedom Pass at the age of 60. I have just looked it up and the qualifying rules changed in 2010 to increase these progressively from 60 in 2010 to 66 in 2020.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls