Club World vs Club World London City

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• Anonymous

Bullfrog
    Participant

Great flight from London to New York. Easy check in, quick boarding, 19 other passengers, great seat for my 6’2 height, comfy bed, easy American Customs clearance at Shannon.

Lunch better than normal CW but afternoon snack needs improving.

It would be great if BA could get a flight out of LCY early morning, rather than 13.05.

I much prefer the A318 Club World seats/bed than that offered on the mainline 777 & 747s, and this is a product that BA could use if they ever wanted to merge their First Class with Club World. I found the seat & bed as comfortable as First Class but obviously less privacy.

RichHI1
    Participant

The Shannon clearance seems to be a winner. I wonder BA has not looked at enhancing this service. Perhaps an additional service GLA and or MAN to JFK with Shannon stop on outbound, direct due to winds on return (using simialr minibus configuration).

I suppose it remains too much to hope that US CBD could be implemented at LHR. That would be too value added I suppose and gte in the way of the shops.

Waddsey1
    Participant

Having recently flown ex LCY to JFK I agree with Bullfrog about the service and I also prefer the CWLCY seat. The Shannon ‘shuffle’ is well ordered and on my flight we were all back on the plane within 45 minutes.
    BA did send a questionnaire after the flight and one of the questions was about timing.
    BA has invested a lot of resource in the LCY service and I hope they will further develop the CWLCY offering. On my flight it was evident the crew was proud as punch about the special ‘little’ plane and the exclusive service.
    I didn’t fly back from JFK to LCY as I had to fly back from Chicago but that was in New First. Although CWLCY is better than normal CW, I think First remains the superior product.

dutchyankee
    Participant

I have really wanted to try this service, and it sounds like it has impressed a number of people. Sorry for my naive question, but the customs clearance at Shannon, do you claim hold luggage as well, and re-check it in after clearance? I imagine yes, and with only 32 pax maximum probably a very fast process, but just curious.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Passengers with no hold luggage go through American customs first. Passengers with hold luggage follow soon after & a photograph of one’s hold luggage appears on a screen at the Customs desk.

No need to see your luggage, ‘claim’ your luggage or ‘re check in’ your luggage.

Very slick !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have been looking at LCY-JFK and then onwards but cant seem to get any connections either via the BA website or KAYAK. Is the LCY British Airways service a stand alone service or part of the world wide BA?

VintageKrug
    Participant

No – just try connecting down to Florida; some excellent deals.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/cwlcexp/public/en_gb

Try booking on http://www.aa.com

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Thanks for that, works a treat apart from having to overnight in New York (at the moment).

I wonder why the BA web site couldnt provide thru options down to Florida?

Senator
    Participant

MartynSinclair ,

I would break the segments and use the advanced booking function. Sometimes I do this to get 23 hour stop in NYC when heading somewhere else. I suspect you want to use your LIN/MXP connection. I would break out MXP/LIN-LON, LCY-JFK, JFK/LGA/EWR-MIA/FLL/PBI depending on where you want to go.

Please note the IC**** fare basis exEUR does not allow for a stopover in the US, but one in the UK for €300 (max 10 days) + APD.

I’ve done LCY-JFK once and enjoyed it tremendously. A little less privacy with the seat, 3 changes to the IFE unit, and perhaps slightly too high expectations on my behalf in regards to F&B otherwise a stellar service!

VintageKrug
    Participant

I prefer the privacy of http://www.newclubworld.com to the CWLCY flight, but the CWLCY service is great in every other respect.

Here is a recent Trip Report (with pics):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1276887-across-pond-a318.html

BeckyBoop
    Participant

I would love to try the LCY service but it works out more convienient and is quicker for me to get to LHR instead 🙁 Does anyone know if BA will run one of these all CW services from LHR in the future? xx

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Senator – yes I was going to use ex-Europe for this trip, but amazingly, for the dates chosen, its cheaper from LCY. The worst part of the trip is the road journey to LCY.

VintageKrug – yes I will feel as if I am having an affair with the NCW’s younger sister, but hey, thats life sometimes (for the semi retired).

I am particulaly keen to clear in Shannon, arrive in JFK as an internal and am happy to miss 60J on this occassion.

LeTigre
    Participant

In terms of commercial success, does it mean that BA would increase frequencies from LCY, perhaps to include a much desired early morning departure?

Hippocampus
    Participant

There may be an additional frequency to JFK, subject to space for another A318 at LCY.

I am sceptical about another route. London-New York is unique in terms of the volume of business traffic required to support a niche route like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls