China will open borders and remove strict quarantine for travellers on 8th Jan

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

HK is far from being on its own as regards the need to use masks the only difference from most Asian countries being that it is compulsory in HK.

I am in Thailand at the moment and almost all locals are wearing a mask in crowded streets in supermarkets and in other crowded places. The exceptions being Russian and American tourists….of course. Public transport is also demanding that masks are warn.

2 weeks ago I was in Manila and again almost all are wearing masks in any crowded places.

In Japan almost all are wearing masks.

So sensible compared to the UK where it seems that Covid is still rife and almost no masks being warn. One wonders why.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

cwoodward – enjoy Thailand.

Unless the mask situation has changed in the last 2 weeks, masks are NOT compulsory on public transport. The skytrain run advisory notices before boarding, but make it clear that mask wearing is not compulsory, but advisory. I did find ca. 80% of locals wearing masks and 10% of ex-pats, wear masks. The MRT (2 weeks ago) was more more less 90% mask wearing, especially in rush hour, but again this was all voluntary. The big difference now is that locals do not appear to challenge ex-pats who do not wear the mask.

The only other place was Brumrungrad hospital, where you were asked to wear masks, but again not compulsory.

I would always double check with hotel concierge before I went somewhere specific. Shopping malls, streets, mask wearing is all voluntary.

I chose to wear a mask in the hospital and MRT. On the sky train, I did not bother… and when out running did not bother. Saw plenty of police and I was never challenged to wear a mask.

We all have our own thoughts on masks. Mine being that they are a complete waste of time, unless frequently changed and worn properly.

However, I will never disrespect someone who thinks a mask will save them from the flu or a cold.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=1335015]So sensible compared to the UK where it seems that Covid is still rife and almost no masks being warn. One wonders why.[/quote]

You don’t need to wonder, cwoodward. The vaccination rate is high in the UK (for example, I have now had 5 jabs). Covid is now endemic here, but is a minor illness for the vast majority who catch it, as a result of vaccinations. My older daughter and her family all found themselves covid-positive recently, but none of the four of them were ill with it. They isolated for three days and were then negative. I have heard countless similar stories from friends.

Of more concern here is seasonal ‘flu, which was non existent last year, so is more rampant this. Take-up of the ‘flu vaccine has been disappointing. Mask wearing to prevent ‘flu can be relatively effective but, as Martyn wrote “they are a complete waste of time, unless frequently changed and worn properly”. The majority of people wear medical grade masks only, often incorrectly and almost always for too long. After half an hour or so they need to be changed (which is what medical personnel do). I see (all the time) masks being worn which are completely useless.

Personally, when attending crowded places, I wear an FFP2 grade mask. They cost a lot more but are more effective and can be worn for much longer, before being thrown away. What proportion of people in HK are wearing these more effective masks?

I also never shake hands with people – as this is one of the commonest causes of the spread of the cold virus. I “bump fists”.

3 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

Is it me or does it feel a little like de ja vue? Along comes CNY and there is a huge pouring of MLC travelling and then we wait to see what transpires……

cwoodward
    Participant

I foresee problems with the travelling Chinese as the 3 Chinese vaccines are not good – one of them is perhaps OK but the other two are in my view very suspect. Also perhaps some false vaccination documents.
    As always time will tell.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls