China approves second Beijing airport

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

• excessbaggage
    Participant

True, but Heathrow is still the world’s busiest airport by international passenger traffic, if these Wikipedia stats are correct (2012 figures not given):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_busiest_airports_by_international_passenger_traffic

AMcWhirter
    Participant

With record levels of pollution affecting not just Beijing city centre but the surrounding area too, will this impact on the operations at the new airport I wonder ?

Just look at these pics in The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/gallery/2013/jan/14/chinese-air-pollution-in-pictures

BeckyBoop
    Participant

LHR are supposed to have flights going to more destinations than any other airport in the world.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“True, but Heathrow is still the world’s busiest airport by international passenger traffic, if these Wikipedia stats are correct (2012 figures not given):”

That does not make it “the worlds no 1 international hub” does it?

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“LHR are supposed to have flights going to more destinations than any other airport in the world.”

What’s your reference for this?

In 2011-12, IIRC Fraport said they had more international destinations than any other airport.

excessbaggage
    Participant

BAA is under the impression Heathrow is “the world’s busiest international airport”.

http://www.baa.com/jobs-at-baa/our-airports

Then again I thought BAA no longer existed…

BeckyBoop
    Participant

FDOS, my reference is Willie Walsh giving eveidence on the 4 Dec at the Parlmentary enquiry on the UK’s Aviation Strategy

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

BAA plc very much still exists and it is interesting that they make this claim, when ACI provide different data.

The ACI data is more specific than the BAA assertion, so I’d tend to believe the former.

The only thing I could think of (if wishing to play stats) is that Heathrow has a higher % of international movements or pax compared to total movements or pax, than FRA etc.

But if that is true, Malta probably has a better claim, as it is nearly 100% international traffic, with only a small GA fleet doing A-A flights (there is no B in Malta) and the AFM (Armed Forces of Malta) who patrol the locale as part of the Frontex arrangements.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

BB

Did you read the links I posted and do these quotations from WW agree with what you heard?

BeckyBoop
    Participant

No time, i have work to do. I just watched it on the telly. I suspect the news source you provide may be inacurate or taken out of context.

MartinJ
    Participant

To all those who say we should be planning like the Chinese do: I am glad I live in a country where the planning of projects that affects the quality of life of hundred of thousands of people does take some time. It takes time because citizens have the right to be heard, to vote, to protest, to sue, to mock, to discuss, to refuse. I’d rather have no airport at all than live with the complete disregard for human rrights, environmental protection and social justice that is the dictatorship of the “Communist” Party of China.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

BB

You might wish to edit your post, as I posted links to articles by the BBC and the Telegraph.

No one is infallible, but they normally get these sort of things right.

Binman62
    Participant

MartinJ ……..”Would prefer to have no airport at all”

Well you might just get your wish but then along with that will come national terminal decline and we will all be making widgets and small plastic toys for the Chinese and wondering why we ended up being the3rd world!
    WW is posturing, he is opposed to the airport as IAG is not able to compete in an environment where the likes of SQ, LH, CX, OZ, KE, MH etc would have free reign to operate where they liked, when they liked. The status quo suites BA/IAG at present as it can exploit its position at LHR. Operating from 3 terminals coaching passengers on every shorthall from t3 and generally not offering much for the fares they charge.

In my view if WW does not want to move then he and IAG can stay at LHR or better still MAD and let travellers have a choice.

A new airport with high speed rail links to the every part of the UK and Europe is the way forward and on this, if little else, I agree with Boris.

BeckyBoop
    Participant

Hhmmm… Not sure I will both sources in the past have been known to have iffy stories. However they are more credible than others…

excessbaggage
    Participant

“BAA plc very much still exists…”

I don’t think it’s been BAA plc since 2006.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls