China Airlines Business Class- Europe to Australia- A Great discovery!

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• MarcusGB
    Participant

Having lived and worked in Australia, i make several return trips each year, planned and booked well ahead.
    Finding the need to be there in 4 weeks time, and just as the school holidays in Europe were starting prior to Easter, caused problems. Double priced fares, and most flights already full. Some 1st Class fares were less than a Business seat!

I came across a fare that was an amazing price , ex Amsterdam on China Airlines with a return fare of Euros 2,750 Business Rtn. This was half most fares, and £1,000 less than starting from LGW with the same Airline.
    I think the better review is this from Australian BT…

https://www.ausbt.com.au/china-airlines-airbus-a350-business-class-review-brisbane-taipei-london-gatwick-bne-tpe-lgw

Having flown out down to Sydney 5 days ago, i wanted to “Highly Recommend” these services. The value is also amazing, especially saving starting from Amsterdam compared to the busy LGW option. I just hopped over on a return Y with KLM ex LHR.
    Being Skyteam, i called KLM and they joined the two bookings together for baggage and check in purposes, more on the return journey.
    I took the Saturday 11am flight out to Taipei, on a 773ER, which took 13.5 hrs (Some Airspace routes closed). Arriving late 6.40am, next day. Close connection departing at 7.40am and a change of Terminals to a new A350.
    Similar cabin, but less dark woods effects to more crisp metallic surrounds and tables, 9.45hrs flight, arriving 7.40pm Sunday.
    I counted 7 new A350’s being pulled around in Taipei, and was informed that most European and Australian routes now these aircraft. The 773 was full, but the A350 Taipei to Sydney, had only 6/32 seats, and 1/3rd in PE which appeared also superb.
    This new flight making 2 a day i was told, started 1st April, so was a very quiet flight, an extra treat.

As BT review shows, it’s a fantastic Business Suite design, Very Comfortable, private, and the colours and fabrics are clever. Overall, it is a clever Psychology created through the choices made for a Business cabin.
    I would highlight:

– Seats square, broad and long at the base when flat, and not angled, ideal if you are tall or large feet!.
    – Surround is apart from seat, high, creates great privacy when reclined or flat, you don’t see/hear other people.
    – Tables set under screen ahead of you, slide at a slight angle down, and fold out to double size. Clever, wide and firm.
    – Lighting is more intimate with the lamp, reading light above yr shoulder on seat, and multi coloured lighting ranges on the
    773 and A350, showing both Boeing and Airbus capability. Beats those flickering bright white lights on other Airlines!
    – Wood or bamboo effect walls surrounding cabin, adds to comfort and a high end finish mostly seen in 1st Class.
    – Toilets have same panels surrounding, several “Stage room” light bulbs, and Classical music playing as you enter.
    – Crew were friendly and informative, eat anytime if you wished, they offered. Good quality meals, prepared very well, so
    small works of art and fine foods. Excellent wines, and fine brand champagnes.
    – Aircraft were impeccable inside, quiet, calm, and very clean, as you enable with new Aircraft.
    – The consistency of the cabins on a Boeing, then Airbus was really excellent, same generation, excellent standard.
    – Very personalised on board, and felt very welcome, and FFP level seemed well appreciated.

I checked booking this flight on the KLM website, with my Flying Blue Platinum for mileage. It only offered some 14,500 miles return! The same 36XP, then 30XP Points for the 2 sectors each way, as booking on China Airlines website.
    However, my “D class” Business earns 125%, C + was 150%. So i will actually earn 44,000 miles towards my account. A BIG difference. I earn the same 132 XP points, needing 300 XP’s per year for renewal of existing Platinum level in FB.
    But KLM flyers know this by now these days, and it does not encourage you to fly KLM or book on their website.

I usually prefer to stopover, but would not choose to in Taipei, but for a flat out Europe to Australia, this was a superb Skyteam option. Terrific value, and balanced service and quality through both flights, and the same back.
    Returns leave Sydney 3 days a week 13hrs, into Taipei for a 3.40hr connection so more time to relax, lounge rest. Midnight departure, Arrival in Amsterdam is 07.30am next day.
    My separate KLM ticket, will connect through, and bags can go fully through to LHR from Sydney, as Skyteam flights, and KLM kindly joining my tickets together. This is VERY important to ask to be completed prior to travel, or through travel may not always flow, and varying allowances for baggage also.

Really superb, and i shall certainly choose to fly China Airlines again with these Excellent, clever, warm designed cabins, and new A350 Aircraft already in place in their fleet now.
    NO variations of aircraft, or generations of in flight cabins to balance, clearly demonstrated with Boeing then Airbus aircraft matched together in design.
    Excellent, well done China Airlines, an asset to Skyteam options Europe to Australia.

MS
    Participant

Man! Your story is so long winded, I only read the first line of every paragraph and basically got the whole story. You need to learn how to tell a story by getting straight to the point! There was so much waffling on LOL. Adding pictures would be nice.

TominScotland
    Participant

Congy, I think it would be a real pity if MarcusGB were to moderate his passionate and fulsome reviews. I do not always agree with his perspective but he brings perspectives and experiences to his contribution, without which this forum would be a poorer place.

w8ster
    Participant

[quote quote=929486]Congy, I think it would be a real pity if MarcusGB were to moderate his passionate and fulsome reviews. I do not always agree with his perspective but he brings perspectives and experiences to his contribution, without which this forum would be a poorer place.[/quote]

I agree. We are in this forum because of our share passion for the industries particularly airlines. One can always choose to read less of what is presented.

9 users thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have been a member on the Forum for over 10 years. I do write in an analytical way, backed up with observations and evidence if you like. It is based on what i see, so it can be shared to others. As a Director in my Profession, this is required. No point making a comment without detailing how or why it is relevant, or what others would also observe.

In the past and when “Seat Plans” was active, we could make our Airline travel reviews more detailed, though not as extensive as BT do. This is no longer the case.
    I included the Australian BT link for photographs and their excellent view, but you clearly did not notice it!
    You will see a proper BT review is pages long and very detailed.
    Even that does not include the rare example of One Airline, One seating design and Cabin concept, achieved on both Boeing and Airbus aircraft. It is a rare consistency.
    This is a major issue for many of us, finding old aircraft or cabins, or waiting years not knowing what era of cabin we will actually fly in, whilst the Airlines take years to upgrade fleets. I found this Airline does have that reliability, and even between differ aircraft manufacturers.

The summary expressed, was what people ask, and means most to them in terms of features, and comfort on their flight. This is based on my observation and experience. Often people on here Worldwide, give tips from their journey, or offer a great insight into alternatives, or routes others would never think of. These are valued by many Forum members. I was awarded 2 “Review of the month Prizes” 2 years running, for doing just this, and was asked to continue this format.
    So i did, and i will thanks.

BT Forum has changed over the years. It is not Only about Business traveller, but people who pay their own fares, travel for personal not work reasons, added into the mix.
    So it is important to provide something for everyone, including prices of fares, and insights into different ways to travel, tips if we come across something I am told is important.

Please do not bother to read if you don’t have the concentration or time to do so.
    But the rest of us will contribute as we have for many years, and greatly benefit from each others observations, when they travel. We are better informed, make good decisions to gain better travel experiences, thanks to the time of others on here.
    Which is why BT exists, On line, in magazine form around The World, present in many hotel groups, On Airlines and in their lounges, and in many countries and languages.
    It is quite Unique, and i look forwards to many Unique insight from this forum, from anyone that takes the time, and shares their experiences, for the benefit of us all.

MS
    Participant

[quote quote=929575]I have been a member on the Forum for over 10 years. I do write in an analytical way, backed up with observations and evidence if you like. It is based on what i see, so it can be shared to others. As a Director in my Profession, this is required. No point making a comment without detailing how or why it is relevant, or what others would also observe.

In the past and when “Seat Plans” was active, we could make our Airline travel reviews more detailed, though not as extensive as BT do. This is no longer the case.

I included the Australian BT link for photographs and their excellent view, but you clearly did not notice it!

You will see a proper BT review is pages long and very detailed.

Even that does not include the rare example of One Airline, One seating design and Cabin concept, achieved on both Boeing and Airbus aircraft. It is a rare consistency.

This is a major issue for many of us, finding old aircraft or cabins, or waiting years not knowing what era of cabin we will actually fly in, whilst the Airlines take years to upgrade fleets. I found this Airline does have that reliability, and even between differ aircraft manufacturers.

The summary expressed, was what people ask, and means most to them in terms of features, and comfort on their flight. This is based on my observation and experience. Often people on here Worldwide, give tips from their journey, or offer a great insight into alternatives, or routes others would never think of. These are valued by many Forum members. I was awarded 2 “Review of the month Prizes” 2 years running, for doing just this, and was asked to continue this format.

So i did, and i will thanks.

BT Forum has changed over the years. It is not Only about Business traveller, but people who pay their own fares, travel for personal not work reasons, added into the mix.

So it is important to provide something for everyone, including prices of fares, and insights into different ways to travel, tips if we come across something I am told is important.

Please do not bother to read if you don’t have the concentration or time to do so.

But the rest of us will contribute as we have for many years, and greatly benefit from each others observations, when they travel. We are better informed, make good decisions to gain better travel experiences, thanks to the time of others on here.

Which is why BT exists, On line, in magazine form around The World, present in many hotel groups, On Airlines and in their lounges, and in many countries and languages.

It is quite Unique, and i look forwards to many Unique insight from this forum, from anyone that takes the time, and shares their experiences, for the benefit of us all.[/quote]

Hahaha! Love the response Marcus!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

Well done Congy…. MarcusGB’s answer was well worth your reposting it…

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls