China 72 Hour Visa Exemption

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• frustratedflyer
    Participant

I am flying to Beijing in a couple of months and have 30 hours in the city on my way to Hong Kong. On the surface it would seem I do not need a visa. However what makes me nervous is that the information is far fom clear. Has anyone had any experience of the process involved?

Anonymous

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Business Traveller covered this story in December 2012. Here’s the link which provides more information:

http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/china-to-introduce-72-hour-beijing-visa-free-stay

famouschicken
    Participant

The only caveat is that it is a transit visa. So only valid if en-route elsewhere. It cannot be used if China is your turn-round point.
    E.g. LHR-PEK(72hrs)-SYD is fine and PEK can be a transit.
    LHR-KUL-PEK(72hrs)-KUL(transit)-LHR then PEK is not a transit point but the destination and thus the transit rules can’t be applied. You need a full Chinese visa.

frustratedflyer
    Participant

Thanks for those replies. I suppose the two questions I have are:
    1. is the process very easy on arrival?
    2. The BT article says you need to present yourself at a police station but I can’t see this on teh Chinese Embassy website. Is this really so?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I wrote the piece for Business Traveller last December before the news became widely known. You did not say where you are based or what passport you hold so but it would be a good idea to contact the Chinese embassy for clarification on these points.

FirstTraveller
    Participant

Does the exemption apply for same ticket transit or a two ticket travel is acceptable. I mean I travel LHR-PEK-LHR on one ticket and PEK-NRT-PEK on another ticket.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Airlines are using a IATA database called Timatic to allow passenger boarding a flight. It is pretty accurate although in some occasions too conservative. So you can check yourself: http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ FirstTraveller – 10/09/2013 16:14 GMT

It does not matter if you have a single ticket or multiple ticket itinerary. As long as you have a valid onward ticket to a destination outside the PRC (and for this purpose, the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region IS outside mainland China) and are going to be departing within 30 hours, you will be issued with a zero cost transit visa at Beijing Capital airport. Go to the transit desk upon arrival to confirm your onward travel arrangements if you have a single ticket itinerary and then they will direct you to the separate immigration/passport channel (which is clearly signposted). You will even be invited to rate the level of service received at the passport desk…! If you have a separate ticket for your onward travel, then you will have to collect your bags and check-in again.

Otherwise, allow plenty of time to admire the stunning architecture – and for taking the London to Manchester equivalent duration shuttle to collect your bags.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls