Cheeky cheap parking for LGW….

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• openfly
    Participant

The Waitrose car park in Horley Surrey is a few minutes frequent bus ride to LGW, 24 hours.
    It has been rumoured to turn a blind eye to long term parking by recording the arrival, and the departure. Over 24 hours and you get a fine of £40…irrespective of number of days. One driver has just parked for 4 weeks and three days…!!….and has been charged one £40.
    The cheapest long term parking in the Gatwick area. There are also a lot of local residents who use the Waitrose car park.

3 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

i used to do the same, parking in a supermarket (Sainsbury’s from memory) in Camden several years back if staying out in central London, back then it was a £30 fine as opposed to £100 24 hr parking elsewhere wouldn’t these days though unless i wanted to come back to broken windows in lawless khans London. Staying in London tonight and took me ages to find a secure car park with on site security in Westminster area

1 user thanked author for this post.

Casey_99
    Participant

Or park on the side roads in the nice residential area of Maidenbower, Crawley and get a taxi to and from LGW. Many of the side roads have parking lay-bys so you’re not directly on the street. It’s perfectly legal as these are public roads with no parking restrictions. Similarly park in the car park at Maidenbower shops.
    Only ten mins taxi to the terminals or you can get a bus.

ASK1945
    Participant

“………….. park on the side roads in the nice residential area of Maidenbower, Crawley”.

Wow, that recommendation is great for the real residents of the area, isn’t it?

We used to have this problem, as we live near to a Thameslink station. The roads filled with commuters who declined to pay the then £3 a day for the station car park and genuine visitors to our homes couldn’t find a space to park. We now have the inconvenience of a Residents’ only one-hour zone middle-daily, costing us for an annual permit to park outside our own house.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I have an interest in a flat in Hatfield (just to the north of London) which has private car parking bays for residents. It is not uncommon to find cars parked in the spaces what appear abandoned. However, as they are taxed and insured there is nothing the police can do. You then have to go through the rigmarole of contacting the managing agents who have a lengthy process of writing to DVLA for the owners details, writing to the owners with threats of removal, then warning the owner the car is about to be towed. Generally the car is moved at the final notice, which has taken about 3-4 months!!

I was threatened with a potential law suit, by the cars owners, if I had the car hoisted onto truck and moved to a double yellow line, hoping the council would then tow the car away.

This is a problem when you own a car parking space between Luton and Stansted and within easy reach of Heathrow. Some people can be very cheeky and use the law for free parking.

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn

I am the Director of a “Right to Manage” company looking after a block of flats (not where I live) near to the Thameslink station that I mentioned above. We had exactly the same problem as you recount. We appointed a (regulated) car parking company to look after the car park. It costs us nothing. We leave to them all of what you have described – and the problem has been solved.

They make their money from PCNs issued to (now) rare miscreants. It is not “off-topic” to this thread: the point is that you can’t long-term park without either paying or causing inconvenience to others. Personally, I always use the Valet parking at LGW which is reasonable in price.

stevescoots
    Participant

we had a couple problems in my town with eastern European cars abandoned on street in legal places where friends live stopping them parking where they live. The police would not do anything as they could or would not trace the owners, and council officers said they could not touch them unless not moved in 6 months with photo evidence of not moving. I “suggested” to my friends if the number plates were to er..go missing….then council has no excuse not to treat as abandoned. funny that a few days later somehow the plates went, and a week later council removed the cars

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls