Cheapest Way to BA Silver/Gold

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

• Anonymous

LeTigre
    Participant

After reading all the interesting posts on the lounge disasters thread, I thought we could see who can suggest the very cheapest way.

So far we have a cost of about £3k, but perhaps VK could explain his £700 idea?

Bucksnet
    Participant

£3k to silver or to gold? And how?

Californian
    Participant

Don’t forget that American Airlines First Class transcontinental flights net 210 tier points each way. So West Coast to MIA even on a two class aircraft can net a lot of tier points often for good value. Just be careful that the ticket is bought in First Class, not business class which gives the right to sit in domestic First Class. Otherwise, I seem to remember BA used to classify the route between Abu Dhabi and Muscat as international allowing 140 tier points but I see that has been discontinued and it now shows as just 40 tier points.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

LeTigre – 06/06/2013 10:26 GMT

As per my posting – that might well have set this particular hare running – the cheapest that I have come across is some £1500 for 15xClub single sector flights LGW-JER-LGW but, as I pointed out, not everyone will want to shuttle to and from the Channel Islands.

I too was somewhat taken aback at VK’s suggestion that Silver could be had for some £700 and Gold for barely double that. I remain to be convinced.

@ Californian – 06/06/2013 12:48 GMT

For the dedicated Tier Point collector, I am reminded that routeing through JFK ex-BA and onto AA scores significantly more TPs than flying direct – and AA are very generous in their TP awards ex-JFK on transcontinental routes as opposed to those from ORD or DFW.

Raffles99
    Participant

Take out Amex Platinum (£450 fee), use the link at Quidco for £50 cashback

Claim your Cathay Pacific Gold card which gives almost all the benefits of BA Silver inc lounge access for a year

Cancel Amex Plat and get your £450 back, so you are £50 up as well? Your Cathay Gold remains valid for the full year.

There is an optional stage whereby you spend £2000 on the card before cancelling and get 3o,ooo Membership Rewards points as well

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ Raffles99 – 06/06/2013 14:12 GMT

Err, yes but…. What does it take to clock up the CX Gold card in the first place (remembering that some of us might also want to travel to places other than or through HKG)….?

VintageKrug
    Participant

…nothing, CX Gold is free with Amex and has almost all the benefits of BA Silver…no need to sully yourself with a trip to HKG.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I took one out a few weeks ago and am very much enjoying a lot of the BA Silver benefits since I’m only Bronze with BA now. Plus I’ve just received a 35,000 BA Miles bonus for spending £2000 within the first 3 months. Excellent deal.

tangey1
    Participant

A couple of weeks back I stumbled across a thread over on FT.

£1300 for 1200TP points (would get you way past BA silver and well onto the way to Gold)

DUB-JFK-LAS-MIA-GCM and the reverse on the return

Out Sat May 24th, back on the Sun. Just required 1 night in a hotel in Vegas on the way back.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1469800-anyone-interested-treasure-hunt.html

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

Surely the £700 for BA silver was pie in the sky. I can’t imagine any airline giving away status so cheaply, not even one that has a damaged reputation for safety.

Don’t be ridiculous HT. I am not a big fan of BA either, but I have complete faith in its safety procedures.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ alexpo1 – 06/06/2013 15:53 GMT

+1

And I repeat from a separate thread:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/9793121/Worlds-safest-airlines-revealed.html

An entirely independent assessment over 30 years by what appears to be an entirely credible institution. Where’s the evidence for your assertion HT?

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

alexpo1 – 06/06/2013 15:53 GMT

AnthonyDunn – 06/06/2013 16:19 GMT

Did I mention BA as having a damaged reputation for safety? I think you are jumping to conclusions or maybe you think they have?

Please don’t jump down my throat because of your own concerns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls