Chaos at EDI

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Charles-P
    Participant

I suppose the next question is, “whose next?”

Wales
    Cornwall
    Northumbria
    Kent
    They all have “independence’ movements

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I’m definitely for an independent Kent!

Charles-P
    Participant

I seem to remember a man who declared his own country a few years ago after he bought one of those Napoleonic forts in the Bristol Channel. Soon we will have people campaigning for an independent, 23 Acacia Avenue !

BigDog.
    Participant

Wales won’t go Charles, they see what a pigs diner the assembly members have made of the powers it has accrued thus far. Further they (we) are smart enough to realise we are a major net benefactor from the relationship.

As to Scotland, methinks it will be a narrow no, however imo when the EU in-out vote occurs there will be a majority in the UK voting out, though a majority in Scotland voting in. This will result in Salmond (imo the least trustworthy of the four party leaders) reneging on his promise and there will be a another vote which will go Yes – so much for independence.

Would also be interested if Salmond would allow a further independence vote by Orkney and Shetland Islanders who believe they have more historic connections with Norway than Scotland. Cue Salmond heading a “better together” campaign.

Kernow cannot afford it but will take some limited powers.

Yorkshire, who has a larger population than Scotland, showed no interest when a referendum occurred.

The interesting one will be Venice as the Italian economy dives further. Given Italy, as a unified entity is only 150 years old I can see there is a fair chance of it fragmenting whether just North-South or back to more along historic City States.

Basques will relish a Yes vote.

Charles-P
    Participant

Well if the Scots do vote yes ( and I doubt they will) it may well be the very first example of turkeys voting for Christmas.

RonBrown
    Participant

All I was concerned about was the shambles at EDI security not start a debate on Scottish independence!!!

ZKSmith
    Participant

I use EDI regularly, and security is usually a shambles during the morning and evening peak times. Taking 15-20 minutes to get through security is common. International arrivals during the early morning is often just as bad, if not worse. Can only hope the new terminal extension vastly improves the experience.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

As “English” and used to the stupidities of our “unfit for purpose” Home Secretaries – all of them without exception for at least the last dozen – I can appreciate the desire of many Scots for a functional democracy!

Scots airports will have a good reason to up their game if they have this opportunity to give us a new, functional hub east and west and I doubt that the rump-UK will decide to have serious border restrictions greater than those on the island of Ireland.

I for one cannot see why Scots would not take this chance!

MrMichael
    Participant

If they do it, and they are not immediate members of the EU….duty free!

canucklad
    Participant

Morning Ron
    Keeping on topic, and remembering the excellent documentary about EDI a couple of months ago, If I was you I’d be tempted to chance my arm and e-mail or even better write a letter to Gordon Dewar about your experience……. You never know your luck !!

And you’re right ZK Smith, the quicker the extension is open the better, and hopefully will help relieve the congestion at the top of the escalator!

MrMichael, sorry to disappoint, but when we all awake tomorrow, the status quo will still be just that. The No campaigns have managed to sow enough negativity that would stop Mr Happy from voting Yes…never mind the rest of us. The best that all of us, throughout the UK can hope for, is that the Westminster establishment has got one hellava of a fright and changes its ways !!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls