Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

FAFabulous
    Participant

In the 20 years that I have been going to Singapore I have seen the nation grow rapidly but Changi Airport is in a constant state of construction.

From last visit I noted: Drop off drive way, entrance to terminal, checkin area, airside shopping, some boarding gates, some rest rooms, bagggage carousel area and exit of the terminal all had some works going on.

There always seems to be some work going on.

Does anyone know when it will be finished…and when the next round of construction/renovation will be begin?

Chris_S
    Participant

Hi FAFabulous,

I have lived in Singapore for the past 12 years – the Singaporeans love construction and they hate being second best – with newer airports opening up around SE Asia they want Changi to be improved.

A few years back there was an article in the Straits Times where a Government Minister was discussing whether they can live with KLIA having cleaner / better toilets than Changi!

To cut a long story short – it will never end – there will always be upgrades and improvements – to keep ahead of the opposition.

FAFabulous
    Participant

Well who does not want to be the best?

It seems that in their quest they are they are killing their dream.

If works had enought vision for a quality end product trhey would not have to keep up with with constant renovations. No one likes living in a contruction zone.

Sadly they have fallen way behind the others in the region.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

At least it is better than Heathrow Terminal 3, which seems to be under permanent reconstruction – the difference being that each bit they work on is still crap when they have finished. Disruption aplenty for no improvement – bizarre

Inquisitive
    Participant

I use Changi frequently and I totally agree with various rating agencies annual awards that Changi is World’s best airport. Chnagi continously renovates the interior and facilities, but passengers never feel any discomfort. The complete T3 was built with minimum fuss and is world class. T1/T2 had to renovate as there are monorail connections with these terminals and T3 (both airside and landside – I believe only in the world).
    Also the Mass Rapid Transit system to connect all part of Singapore was extended to T1/T2.
    Now T1 is being renovated as the carpets and facilities are dated. There is no problem for passengers. I have passed through almost all major cities in the world and found Changi is the only one care about economy/transit passengers with so many free recreation facilities for time pass. At Changi (especially T2/T3), sometimes I come out of lounges early to have a walk around the terminals – it is very good experience – including shopping.
    I believe T1 renovation will be completed 1Q 2012.

FAFabulous
    Participant

Hmm
    That last response came at the same time as I got a reply from Changi via email…with a few very similar phrases.
    I smell a rat!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just curious FAF, but how did they get your email address?

FAFabulous
    Participant

I emailed Changi.
    I did not get a response, I posted my issues here.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Aha, I thought they may have had some way to get hold of our email addresses etc.

Go to show though that they do monitor these posts.

Inquisitive
    Participant

FAFabulas, I am a business traveller and have no relation with Changi – hence you are getting wrong smell. It is just that I liked Changi airport very much among all airports.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls