Celebrities on Your Flight? Please Share.

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)

• Sami
    Participant

On a lighter note in view of recent events, have you ever met a celebrity on any of your flights and interacted with them? If yes, who was the celebrity and how were they? Nice, reserved, rude, flirty….??
    For me I have met 2 celebrities, Italian film icon Claudia Cardinale who was down to earth, chatty and with an incredible sense of humor. The other was European diva Amanda Lear (anyone else know her?). She was courteous and laughed when I idiotically brought up rumors about her real gender.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Back on track…..

With a little bit of flex… I wont start naming people I have sat next to over the years, but will mention 2 ‘One Degree of separation moments’..

Bear in mind I am in my 50’s and out of school for over 35 years.

Through this Forum I ‘sat next’ to a poster who was in the year above me at boarding school. I recognised his handle & he still posts occasionally.

I once sat next to a guy on a flight, Asia to London who I didn’t recognise, but as soon as we said hello to each other we realised we had been in the same year at school.

My school has a lot to answer for… its motto was ‘know him in all thy ways’…. 🙂

3 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Well Sami, I’m not sure if I’ve ever sat next to a celebrity, primarily because (warning -old fart statement coming up) nowadays I choose not to engage with programmes that elevates untalented nobodies into global media sensations simply because they’ve got the moral scruples of a tom cat !

I have had the good fortune to sit next / drink with a collection of musicians, comedians , sportsmen and politicians whilst on my travels.

Having said that, I’m totally useless at recognising these people and it’s usually someone else that points out who they are , as was the case when I got drunk with a very well known rock band at the Park Inn at Heathrow.

“You’ve no idea who your talking too, do you? “ has rung through my ears more often than not !
    And that pretty much answers you’re question about how they were ?

[quote quote=986698]My school has a lot to answer for… its motto was ‘know him in all thy ways’…. 🙂[/quote]

Thanks for getting Tuesday of to tittering start !

4 users thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

I dont mind a bit of name dropping and a fun thread I think. I’ve had a few flights with Celebs, but didnt really engage with them as they were very much in their own ‘world’ so to speak. But have flown with George Clooney, Danny Devito and Vijay Singh (sorry if I spelt that wrong) all on one flight to LA, and it was really cute as soon as the plane landed Danny Devito called his wife right away to say he was home. Flew with Barbra Streisand once who slept and only drank water the entire flight, Joan Collins and her assistant (Joan was charming to the crew, her assistant behaved more like Alexis), but the most memorable for us was a flight on 31 December 2005/ 1 January 2006 LHR-SIN we were joining a cruise from Singapore a few days after arrival, and we were in row 4. In 1A was Cliff Richard and in 1K his partner/assistant (not sure who it was) and at midnight UK time, Sir Cliff stood up and clinked champagne glasses with all of us wishing everyone a Happy New Year. A real class gentleman

capetonianm
    Participant

I agree with Canucklad. I wouldn’t recognise half of these so-called ‘celebrities’ nowadays, nor would I want to sit next to them, let alone converse.

In the mid-70s, I sat next to a very pleasant fellow who was a few years older than me, We chatted and when I emerged from customs and we bade each other farewell, my then girlfriend seemed surprised and asked where I’d met him, saying :
    “You do know who that is don’t you?”
    “He’s a musician and his name’s Eric.”
    “You are joking, that’s ****ing **** *******!”
    Well, in those days we didn’t have music videos and didn’t necessarily know what musicians looked like. The odd thing was that about a week earlier I’d bought a (vinyl) copy of 461 Ocean Boulevard, which had just been released.

A famous South African actress whom I didn’t recognise until we were well into cruise and had ‘cheersed’ each other over a drink, and she told me she was on her way back from LAX. I asked her what she’d been doing there and as she answered the penny dropped. Very pleasant and unassuming lady who gave me a little kiss and a big hug for helping her get her bags off the carousel.

A member of a third rate ‘pop’ group with her male partner. They behaved liked animals, rude and snappy to the cabin crew, abusive, kept jumping up and down even when the seat belt lights were on. I asked the cabin attendant who they were and she said : “She’s a Spice Girl”.
    The elderly gentleman next to me me said : “What’s a Spice Girl, although I’m not sure I want to know.”
    It wasn’t Emma Brunton, for whom I have a bit of a soft spot since bumping into her in a coffee shop at Brent Cross shopping centre when she dropped her phone and I picked it up and put the bits together. I didn’t know who she was either until the shop assistant told me.

Shopping in the tourist area of Kathmandu we went into a shop and saw a huge beefy black security guard trailing a small and very ordinary looking blonde girl around. My g/f said afterwards it was …. another famous actress who drove a car off a bridge during a row with her lover (in the film.) A few days later we were sitting round the campfire in a lodge in the Chetwan National Park and the lodge manager said : “Guess who was sitting in that chair this time last night.”

In the LH Senator Lounge at FRA as I was getting off the massage bed a very tall, graceful, elegant black lady asked me if I’d show her how it worked. She plays really scary parts in her films, but in real life is softly spoken and polite. I didn’t know who she was either until my g/f told me.

Flying F on LH to BUE a few days before the GP, the Schumacher brothers sat at the front of the cabin. Boarded last, walked up the aisle, politely said ‘good evening’ to the 4 or so other passengers, took their bulkhead seats, and were treated, and behaved, exactly the same as anyone else. Perfect gentlemen. We also sat near Damon Hill and his lady wife in a restaurant on the same trip, and the waiter urged me to get his autograph and was upset when I said that these are people having private time and it’s wrong to pester them. By chance, we left at the same time and they were behind us at the exit. I turned round and wished him good luck, got a friendly handshake and a thank you. Another gentleman, like his father.

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

Sir David Frost on Concorde; we explored the wine list extensively.

John Major in BA F LHR-HKG after his premiership.

Nigel Mansell, Lara Stone, Anna Friel, The Beautiful South, Eric Cantona on various flights.

Roger Waters from the Floyd at the baggage carousel at CDG. Really nice guy.

And some boy band dressed top to toe in white MAN-LHR resulting in the crew ignoring the rest of us!!

Bath_VIP
    Participant

As someone who used travel regularly on the London to Newcastle route, the number of Newcastle Utd players I’ve seen or sat next to is long. I could create a whole team out of them!

Bjh1234
    Participant

Interesting trip with Ian Paisley who was not like his public persona at all. First on NZ lhr – lax. The only other occupants were Sharon and Ozzy Osborne, their daughter and their manager. They were all quite charming, we hardly knew they were there and the crew told us that they were regular and frequent travellers and their favourite passengers by far.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=986709]We also sat near Damon Hill and his lady wife in a restaurant on the same trip, and the waiter urged me to get his autograph a[/quote]

I recall years ago a drinking (local pub) pal of mine organised through his brother whose in the music industry a trip to Glasgow to watch a well-known Scottish band play a set in a small cosy drinking establishment rather than the big arenas they would frequent on tour.

At the end of it, my egotistical pal who speaks in millions ( You say you’ve been to Tenerife on holiday and he’ll say he’s been to Elevenerife ) approached me and my mates at the bar with a couple of members from the band….

He loudly with importance , exclaimed “ Autograph boys? “

To which I replied …..”Well if they really want my autograph it would be rude to refuse,” reaching out to the lead singer and asking if they had brought a pen with them?

The band members burst out laughing, my close mates did likewise and Mr Elevenerife didn’t talk to me for 2 weeks .

2 users thanked author for this post.

Inthesandpit
    Participant

Only a few for me:
    Many moons ago we were travelling Funchal – LHR on GB Airways / BA in Club Europe. Only the the two of us and one other passenger, who i commented on about being a little scruffy, however he was clearly a regular as the crew knew him. The other half commented on his classy watch though. I heard him being addressed by christian name. When we got off a few days later i realised he was a very very famous golfer, not being a golfer i had not a clue.

In days gone by while working for an airline at Gatwick i was queuing to renew my car tax at the Post Office, after all this was my local post office, behind me was shall we say the Anchor presenter when the ‘Holiday’ programme was very popular so this must have been the late 1980’s. I received a real mouthful of abuse because as far as this person was not concerned ‘staff’ should not be allowed to use the post office…..

In recent years on a WY flight from MCT to LHR, a high profile TV chef was in Business Class, throwing a wobbler because he wanted to be in F (which was full), he was quite rude and arrogant not only to the crew but also to a fellow passenger who kindly asked for an autograph for his mother. At the time he was one of my food heros and i was quite shocked. I don’t think he is so famous now after a run in with a major supermarket.

And finally folks i sat across from someone i recognised in F on BA from DXB to LHR, the guy was chatty and it bugged me who he was, it suddenly dawned on me at baggage when i realised that i was in the company of one of the most famous principles from the musical Les Miserables and he had been out scoping the new Dubai Opera House for the upcoming production there.

My time in the Royal Flight whilst serving in the RAF in 1980/81 I am afraid must remain with me 🙂

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Not been on any flights carrying celebrities, as far as I know. However, seen well-known faces in airports, railway and tube stations.

Many years ago, waiting at MAN for delayed holiday flight, saw former Liberal leader Joe Grimmond. Then on tube, can’t remember which station, I was on up escalator Kenneth Williams on adjacent down one. Expected him to be “twitchy” as his tv persona but appeared quite normal. Also shared carriage with Peter Barkworth (actor) who was quietly reading a book, despite other passengers pointing at him. This was not long after the drama “Telford’s Change”. Also saw Richard Chamberlain round back of New Street Station. On Virgin train Euston to Birmingham when my mother nudged me and whispered “someone famous has just gone past”. Few minutes later, BBC Reporter/Newsreader Robert (Bob) Langley returned from buffet car. Made her day to see him in the flesh!

When on holiday in Cyprus, Jessie Wallace (Kat Slater from EastEnders) chose to eat in same taverna as us. One of her entourage visited first to check on surroundings. By the time she entered, owner’s British wife had already tipped us off.

Then again, have experienced flights where some passengers thought they were legends in their own lunchtime…..

FrequentlyFlying
    Participant

Some fairly recent ones.
    Mr & Mrs Sting coming home from NYC in BA F, they had 1A & 1K and I had 2K (747) I spoke to Mr Sting in the Concorde Room as he was carrying a guitar in a rather splended leather case & I wanted to know about it, they were both chatty and friendly to me. On arrival at LHR we got a bus from the stand and they were both interacting with other passengers.
    Katy Perry at Newark in the old BA F lounge and alongside me in F on the way home to London after Whitney Houston’s funeral. My daughter was in awe and Ms Perry was delightful!
    Conor McGregor in BA F coming home from Las Vegas after getting beaten up badly in an MMA match, he and his minder (does he really need a minder?) were complete gentlemen.

A very old one
    Omar Sharrif (sp?) Emirates F Lounge at LGW in about 1996.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Not on a flight, but once I was in the lobby at a posh Gatwick hotel and there was John Cleese checking in right in front of me. The trouble was, everyone (a lot of people) was just stood there like statues, fixedly staring and gawking at him. He looked very, very uncomfortable and scooted off to the lifts as soon as he could, I don’t blame him.

I was in a lift once at the National Theatre in London with a friend and to our utter amazement Dustin Hoffman got in and rode up with us (minding his own business of course – as did we).

TominScotland
    Participant

Many years ago, Gerard Butler and I were the only guests in the BMI Lounge in Glasgow one Sunday morning – only, I did not have a clue who he was, only that the ladies on duty were fawning over him. We exchanged pleasantries over our respective coffees and went to board. He was in continued demand for photos with the cabin crew and, sitting across from him in 1F, I was invited forward to have my picture taken with him as well. I declined but did ask, in a whisper, who the hell he was!!

Slayeronwings
    Participant

That woman Joan Collins at Virgins Clubhouse years ago with her golddigger husband. Rude to the waiter, as she sat near the kids area and she hates kids. A very friendly Meat Loaf flying to IAD and Paul McCartney and Ex with 100 pieces of hand baggage.
    Melinda Messenger sat in front of me USA to UK in economy with her family. Lovely girl.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls