Cathay’s Hong Kong Express return flights to Japan now under US$250.00

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Japan is a very popular choice for Hong Kongers and Cathays low cost arm is now offering return flights for under US$250 (HKG-Osaka) with 7K in-cabin luggage now making the carrier the cheapest ex HK option on its 7 Japanese routes- other available fare options offer up to 32k of Luggage.
    For a 4 hour duration flight on a decent airline with newish Airbus aircraft US$250.00 appears exceedingly cheap to me.
    Is it?

The offered fare is some US$35 lower than Peach, the major LCC competitor on the route.

I am not tempted (too old and needy) but I am certain that many younger folks will be as these extremely low fares offer the possibility of a long weekend in Japan at an Airbnb with friends at a very affordable cost.

The airline is expanding fast and now offers flights to over 20 popular Asian destinations plus its several routes to China mainland from Hong Kong. The latest routes on offer are Clark (Philippines) and Hanoi.

4 users thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

I agree it is good value but I am a bit too old to move away from Cathay and JAL. Also with One World benefits such as lounge access and luggage, it certainly makes Cathay / JAL seem even more attractive.

However if you can limit to hand baggage and are not interested in the lounges, it is good value. Perhaps a middle ground is to pay extra for row 1 (relatively modest cost) or i think the first few rows may also have extra legroom?

As an aside, i noticed Cathay’s business class prices have dropped on many routes later in the year – i.e. Bangkok is c HKD 6,500 v about $8,500 now. I think $6,500 is very reasonable of you can get the A350 or flat bed A330 or even maybe the A321.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@christ – “As an aside, i noticed Cathay’s business class prices have dropped on many routes later in the year”

My amazing TC has just booked me an ex-Europe to HKG at a price which compares very favourably to pre covid pricing. The ex-Europe starting point is Malta (which suits me just fine as I work in Malta) and uses Air Malta and Cathay.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls