Cathay – total shambles!

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• christ
    Participant

Flying on cathay from Bangkok to HK and a total disgrace. Sat on tarmac for ages and no announcements but they messed up with passengers and are incompetent as counted over 10 times. Lack of information was appalling.

Additionally a regional a330 with appalling product – how cathay can charge these fares for an ancient product v Thai or HK airlines with flat beds.

Bangkok Cathay lounge a disgrace – minimal food to order and no buffet(apart from a tiny salad). Better service at shakeshack. Total lack of cutlery and no staff replacing. Only plus side was the guy at the bar.

Really has gone downhill but sadly not their prices.

cwoodward
    Participant

A very predictable post from a poster who will take any opportunity to find any and every excuse to to find any fault with the airline real or imagined.

I took the same route on the same aircraft type just prior to Christmas and it was seamless as was the lounge where the salads were plentiful as were other food offerings that are offered in most outport lounges.

I am wondering why he continues to fly with Cathay who do not of course offer the appalling ‘fast food’ available at Shakeshack so loved by our teenaged son and his friends.

Bangkok as with several airports in Asia are exercising ‘flow control’ at busy times and it would have been this that caused his delay -as I suspect that he is already aware.
    Hong Kong AirlinesI am told is cheaper and I further understand that they offer Shakeshack type fast food – reheated of course.

christ
    Participant

Clearly cwoodward who never accepts anything bad about Cathay.

On BA, they would always give updates re the delay but not a single one. They just kept going up and down the aisle counting customers.

Oh for a regional outpost – funny that Qatar has better offerings than Cathay at an outpost!

I am glad you have such great service always.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I have no interest to further debate anything with you Christ re Cathay or otherwise.

christ
    Participant

Just to confirm it was nothing in the slightest to do with “flow control:. When we landed they said it was to do with miscounting passenger numbers and boarding passes / seat allocations tying in!

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I think this just demonstrates that experiences can be very different day to day, and when prices are high so are expectations, and subsequently frustrations when things go wrong.

3 users thanked author for this post.

EmilyinTokyo
    Participant

I also flew Cathay today (HND-HK) and was completely underwhelmed. Boeing777 2-3-2 “regional business seat”, which look and feel the same as economy seats— no lie-flat, no amenities, no personal space e.g. shared arm rest, no wall between seat neighbors— all at the price of business class.

I believe we pay business class price for the seat quality, so this was a big disappointment (I thought they had somehow downgraded the entire business class). Other details like lounge and priority boarding are nice to have but I don’t always have time to go to the lounge or board first even. But I do spend time in that seat and for the price I expect to either get some sleep or get some work done, neither of which is supported with a seat that doesn’t fully recline or have any privacy (laptop screen fully visible from seat neighbor).

I didn’t even choose Cathay— my JAL flight became code share with Cathay operating the flight. So I expected JAL business and got Cathay’s regional business— a big spread in quality. I really don’t think this was fair. If Cathay insists on regional business, the least it can do is not use the product on code share flights with better airlines.

5 users thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

Just flew Cx from SGN-HKG-LHR. I have knocked CX a few times here, especially the last LHR-HKG flight. This time however was excellent. The SGN flight was a regional 2-2-2 which is rare on this flight but better condition than some of the newer birds. As it was only 2 hours was no problem to me. boarding, greeting etc all excellent, was asked would you like a hot towel by name. food was good and fast. Status was recognised on boarding, taking service, and serving. HKG to LHR was the same as the SGN great service, crew that crept through the cabin to check if anyone needs anything during the night. It was the polar opposite of the LHR to HKG one 3 weeks before. SGN uses the Siagonese lounge, which is ok, certainly had better and worse. Cannot complain about a routing that is only 2 SH a day. I think even the naysayers will compliment HK lounges.
    CX problems? I would say inconsistency down to covid recovery which can be forgiven if it was not for the eyewatering pricing being asked for that.

christ
    Participant

I have had some good flights on Cathay also but at their prices they need consistent service and product as cwoodward always seems to have seamless service ad so must be lucky.

I really do not understand how you can charge the same price for business in a flat bed and a premium economy equivalent seat.

I also think they need to sort some consistent service delivery of meals in business as it is very random.

tomyam42
    Participant

They are going to fix the problem of charging the same for flat bell aisle access only seats and premium economy equivalent seats by replacing the former with the latter. TG appears to have done something similar on their A320s where they changed from a North American First Class type offering called business class to Eurobusiness (economy seating with middle seat blocked). I understand that it cause such an uproar in Thailand that TG has renamed it Silk (not Royal Silk) and priced it as Premium Economy.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

I flew a day trip on CX yesterday HK-SIN-HK in J, long haul seats in both directions and I believe all CX flights to Singapore are long-haul aircraft. They were fantastic in both directions. Crew were lovely, and sentiment may have improved on the announcement of CNY bonuses to help ensure disruption is minimized, but genuinely everything was top-notch on the ground and in the air. HK airport was fabulous as always, plane to airport express and back home within 1 hour of landing.

cwoodward
    Participant

We are taking the same routing in 2 weeks and I will post a brief factual report.

anyonebutBAirways
    Participant

Factual? this will be interesting.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls