Cathay to urgently update its large A330 fleets passenger cabins

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay Pacific CEO Ronald Lam has confirmed the airline “plans with some ‘urgency’ to retrofit the cabins on its Airbus A330 jets.” he was quoted as saying when interviewed by Bloomberg transport reporter Danny Lee yesterday.

The airlines fleet of 42 aircraft has several cabin configurations and varying numbers of seats from 251 to 317 seats. Some aircraft are 3 class and some have only business and economy. It seems that the cabin layouts and configurations are to be updated and rationalised making it easier for aircraft to be transferred between routes.

The fleet is of varying ages but if the few very old (above 20 years and unlikely to rejoin the active fleet) planes that are in storage are disregarded the average age is about 10.7 years with a good number only 8 years old (and with 3 years of that in storage) making the still youngish fleet presumably worthwhile to upgrade.

There is a yet no news from the airline re the design of the refitted cabins but apparently the exercise will start soon.

alistairNicoll
    Participant

“plans with some ‘urgency’ to retrofit the cabins on its Airbus A330 jets” but there is no news as yet about the design of these cabins

well I doubt then we will be seeing them any time soon then

cwoodward
    Participant

As we are not discussing BA or Qantas here there seems to be no good reason that the refit will not actually happen in the near future as forecast. As this was not a planned announcement I would not have expected more detail from the CEO
    The interview was just a week ago and there seems to be no reason to suspect that the refit will not happen as announced.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Good to see the life of these A330s are being extended. I do hope and think that having premium economy on all A330s is a good idea and also a differentiator versus other hub airlines in the region – TG, SQ for example who do not have this product on all their regional fleet.

I appreciate that they do not want to make their Y+/W service too good and reduce demand for J class, but having 3-4 rows would IMO be a good balance.

3 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls