Cathay to acquire more new A320 and A321 in 2025/6

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

In a very unusual move for the group who seldom lease aircraft Cathay have signed a deal with Avalon the Irish leaser for nine Airbus A320neo family aircraft for delivery in 2026 and 2027. The nine aircraft will be a mix of A321neos and A320neos.

The move indicates how determined the airline is to acquire new aircraft quickly and how long is the Airbus delivery queue.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

@cwoodward – is this for expansion or to replace some of the elderly a330s?

cwoodward
    Participant

Of the fleet of 33 in service 23 are under 12 y.o. -9 are between between 13 and 19 y.o.-these are the aircraft that are being refitted with the new business class.
    Of the balance of of the 42 in the total fleet most are elderly, leased and parked and unlikely to see much future service with the airline – but some will I expect need to be replaced.

christ
    Participant

Thanks – can you remind me as to whether the A330s being refitted are with the long haul business product (i.e. flat bed) or the A321 regional product?

cwoodward
    Participant

The announcement was long haul being replaced by new long haul.
    There are though about 4 older aircraft that were refitted in 2019 for only short haul heavy ECO routes and as they have been little used and are needed I would not expect that fit-out to be changed.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls