Cathay ‘revises’ reward redemption rates

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cathay will increase the number of points needed for reward redemption. Not all that surprising given airfares have risen in price substantially. The changes apply from October 1st. The increasing trend of dedicated miles flights, will also be offered by CX, on routes including Tokyo, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Seoul.

First Class redemption rates increase by 25% on LHR to HKG.
    J class increases from 75,000 to 84,000 on LHR to HK.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Not on all routes – but none were reduced from my quick glance at the email I received yesterday and Cathay also of course in January
    committed to doubling the number of seats available for redemption – and have done so.

As AHK mentions of course airfares have risen greatly – and the points chart was last amended in 2018, 5 years ago and so I guess this was bound to happen as nothing in my experience is ‘free’

We all have a few months yet though to snatch a ‘bargain’

1 user thanked author for this post.

stevescoots
    Participant

I had a quick look for redemptions (CX Diamond) and have no problem to get them on one of my regulars HKG to SGN. but nothing on a wide range of dates for HKG-LHR or MAN in J. While i was at it i took a look over at BA where i have a ton of miles and as you can guess, zero on anything in even Y for the next 6 months for my potential routes of UK to Asia or East coast US. I have however dropped to Bronze with them so i am less than something they stepped on in the street.

I understand CX raising them, everyone else has and its the market. Dont like it but then who does like paying more?

cwoodward
    Participant

Having had time for a proper look at the changes it is apparent that this magazines headline on the subject is arguably a little extravagant.
    Long-haul fares to many popular destinations including London-New York -Toronto -Paris will actually fall by 10% for economy passengers.
    While it is correct that premium tickets have increased on many routes it seems also that Singapore, Seoul, Shanghai etc are largely unchanged.

The value of points has been changing significantly this year and Cathay are far from being alone with changes although possibly I missed any mention here. United, BA (and the other airlines in that group) made significant devaluations and I read that Qantas have also made changes.
    Amex have altered the reward landscape further in the last days by reducing the value of their points to several airlines including Singapore by 30%.

I read that any booking made prior 1st October will be honoured for seats booked beyond that date which for me is helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls