Cathay Pacific provides Emirates with Heathrow slots

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

• AndrewinHK
    Participant

EK just confirmed the new frequency to LHR. They will deploy a 77W, and operate Tuesday to Saturday from October 31st to March 30th.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes EK has announced details of its additional flights to LHR sooner than I thought.

EK 41 departs DXB at 1320 to arrive LHR at 1720.

EK 42 departs LHR at 2015 to land into DXB at 0715 the following day.

B777-300ER

1 user thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

It looks like a short term strategy, but could cost CX in the long term as once the market share is lost, it is difficult to get that back.

CX and SQ mainly compete with Emirates and Qatar for the UK and Australia route and they compete with each other for Australia as well as for all SE Asian cities with excellent connectivity.

Not to forget, Qantas and increasingly aggressive Air India and Indigo are trying to get the pieces of the pie.

Likely CX missing a trick here by conceding the slot. We are reading news about Qatar running empty flight to an auxiliary city to increase Melbourne frequency and likely still making money, so if CX is not able to run the 5th LHR flight due to crew issues, then it is lack of good planning.
    But CX must have some good reason, that could be clearer from the duration of the lease of the slot.

1 user thanked author for this post.

christ
    Participant

I agree re the one stop as i would only go on Qatar if it was at least hkd 10k cheaper or i need tier points to keep BA gold.

A lot of my friends seem to be travelling on United to US – will their return not bring down prices to US? American seems to have abandoned HK for good!

I am combining with a Seoul trip and where i got an onward Korean air trip to the US for c. HKD 26k in business.

onajetplane
    Participant

Completely separate point, but their lounge at Heathrow will only now become even busier at that prime early evening time with this new addition. Do wonder how they will manage that, as already it can be very crowded. I use that lounge a lot, and definitely observe that (I would guess the majority of people on the flight) are in the lounge early to enjoy and spend as much time as they can before the flight (no judgement there)- as opposed to a more business traveller grab and go type scenario.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls