Cathay Pacific makes further cuts

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

No wonder Cathay Pacific is clsoing three of its HKG lounges.

Today’s FT reports passenger numbers into HKG in January fell by 40 per cent compared to a year earlier.

Further cuts “were likely to follow in April” FT reported.

https://www.ft.com/content/ef770fa6-5169-11ea-90ad-25e377c0ee1f?desktop=true&segmentId=d8d3e364-5197-20eb-17cf-2437841d178a

cwoodward
    Participant

On a brighter note Cathay has added an additional weekly flight to Johannesburg and for the past 3 weeks a third daily flight (CX2190) to Auckland. This probably because Air NZ has canceled its daily flight to HK.
    I was told at the weekend that the flight restrictions to and from Manila are likely to be lifted at the end of the week.It seems that the virus does not survive well in temperatures above 25C and of course the Manila ambient is above this.

Further cuts in April – Much will depend of course on the virus situation in HK and fortunately there are early signs that this is coming under control.
    Personally I believe that we (at least in HK) will be out of this horrible situation by mid March

1 user thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=990785]I was told at the weekend that the flight restrictions to and from Manila are likely to be lifted at the end of the week.It seems that the virus does not survive well in temperatures above 25C and of course the Manila ambient is above this.[/quote]

cwoodward – if you have any papers to support the above statement I would be interested to read. There are several very neutral articles about the matter, none though yet appear overly confident. Neewsweek’s is copied below.

https://www.newsweek.com/could-coronavirus-really-killed-hot-weather-scientists-weigh-1486709

cwoodward
    Participant

Manila restrictions changed overnight Martyn.
    My info re virus reaction to temperature came from a doctor friend who says that this is a well know fact for this group of viruses ….will post any written articles that come to hand.

Chris in Makati
    Participant

[postquote quote=990878]Manila restrictions changed overnight Martyn.
    My info re virus reaction to temperature came from a doctor friend who says that this is a well know fact for this group of viruses ….will post any written articles that come to hand[/postquote]

The ban on visitors from China, Hong Kong and Macau still exists in the Philippines. There is talk on the ban from Macau being lifted soon, but nothing definite as yet.

The only other change is that Filipino workers due to head back to Hong Kong and Macau will now be allowed to leave to return to their jobs.

Woodpecker
    Participant

Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon & Hong Kong Airlines aircraft stacked up on the tarmac of HKG airport.

MarkivJ
    Participant

I feel sorry for CX. If it isn’t for the MEB3 and Chinese carriers competition, they had the HK protests and now this. I can imagine their fiscal year earnings will be down the drain

Chris in Makati
    Participant

I’m not sure I feel that sorry for CX.

They’ve always had a rather arrogant attitude and thought their s**t doesn’t stink. They probably do have one of the best products in the air though, and I used to be Gold Marco Polo with them. A couple of incidents I experienced showed me how little they really valued my loyalty as a Marco Polo member and they’re no longer my preferred choice of airline, as they once were.

stevescoots
    Participant

[postquote quote=991115][/postquote]

Whilst a business is a business is a business, if that makes sense. I do have sympathy for them over the last 18 months, just as they were picking themselves up from self inflicted injury, hedging of fuel, CF cutting costs impacting the customer, up comes the flying debris of the protests and CV. Both things beyond their control. As someone whose business is being impacted heavily by the CV they get my sympathies.

cwoodward
    Participant

The HK$1.6 Billion package of fee reductions and wavers just announced by the HK Airport Authority will be welcomed by all three of the Cathay owned airlines without doubt but it is still a critical situation which I feel would perhaps have been terminal were Cathay a stand alone airline.
    As it is being part of robust Swire group and with strong investors in Air China (29%) and Qatar (10%)they will have the resources,resilience and resolve to survive no doubt.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3051859/hong-kong-airport-unveils-hk16-billion-package-support

Hong Kong Airlines are an entirely different matter of course and very likely to fold any day unless significant new funding is injected immediately. The chances of this happening would seem to be very unlikely.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

News today that many Cathay Pacific staff are having to take unpaid leave.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/3052519/more-25000-cathay-pacific-employees-take-unpaid-leave

cwoodward
    Participant

Just to be accurate.
    There was no compulsion on any Cathay staff to take unpaid leave.
    In fact 75% of Cathay staff (from all 3 airlines) tave taken voluntary unpaid leave with two thirds of the pilots opting to do the same.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[postquote quote=991030][/postquote]

The Memsahib’s hairdresser told her yesterday that from his apartment (overlooking the airport) he counted over 60 CX planes parked up (at that point he lost count but there were still plenty more, apparently)

HKG airport this morning was spookily empty, and we saw plenty of CX and HX ‘planes parked up. But I don’t feel as sorry for CX as I do for the one-man (or woman) businesses that are really suffering – taxi-drivers, minibus-drivers, hawkers and so forth. Restaurants and shops have closed….

The government has decided to give every permanent resident HK$10,000 to help with their hardship (and boost the economy, and their popularity, no doubt). Even if they live overseas – bizarre! They say the money will be made available in the summer as early as June or July but another source said registrations would open in August. It’s a complete muddle, like everything this government does. Still, at least they are making the civil service go back to work next week!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls