Cathay Pacific carried 1.8 million passengers in August

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

• christ
    Participant

I certainly do not find cathay middle business seats particularly great either as an individual or couple. I’d say it is middle of the range.

Qatar is way ahead with Q suites (rarely used to HK though). I also think BA club suites are way ahead of Cathay. I actually don’t mind the old BA window club world seats as a couple where can chat to each other- however not great for solo travel.

Interestingly there is a thread on another well respected travel website talking about the disgrace of Cathay regional product for the pricing v competitors and also complaining there will be more A321 neos coming- I am not sure of the plan here but surely they are better than the regional wide bodies!

1 user thanked author for this post.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward I’d be interested to know when did you last fly with an airline other than CX?

christ
    Participant

As an aside – did the hk meet up ever happen?

I would enjoy going for a few drinks and a meal with locals in HK and hear more what people’s experiences are.

I know cathay can be a sensitive point but I hope it is all taken in a friendly way and challenges as I learn a lot through these posts.

We all have our favourite airlines for whatever reason and I think there is good and bad on all!

stevescoots
    Participant

The meet up did happen, and discussions and differences of opinion were much better conducted face to face over drinks than thumping keyboards all over, it was a very enjoyable evening and we will be doing it again

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

AndrewinHK I have difficulty understanding why you would ask or of what possible interest this could be but I will indulge you -once.
    2 months ago Air New Zealand earlier in the year Bangkok Airways, Philippine Airlines, Virgin Au, SIA, and of course several times with Cathay.
    I have traveled less long-haul than is normal this year as I temporarily have difficulty walking.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward I only mentioned as I’ve found real changes especially on long haul as other carriers have stepped up and cost wise I think started to offer a real alternative. Having said that, I just booked to fly to LHR on Thursday, and just eye watering the ticket prices, CX/BA about the same but I went for BA this time as I do enjoy the Club Suite and wanted to catch it before they revert to 2x 789 and the old seat for the winter schedule. I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best.

christ
    Participant

Are the prices higher as last minute as i have found Cathay and BA prices to have dropped and Qatar increase? I still find it odd that BA for the winter are putting both flights with a 787 and no club suites(one of the flights still has first and reasonably priced v Cathay on most date) – perhaps it is as they know Cathay does not have a club suite equivalent. Next summer it seems BA again go back to one of the flights being operated by an A350.

Unlikely but i just hope one day BA go back to the A380 as i think this and the A350 are a million miles above Cathay.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Yes I suppose the last minute nature had something to do with the pricing, Golden Week in China next week and Mid Autumn in HK I guess flights might be quite busy. Luckily I can claim a few personal trips in J per year as part of my employment package so I shall be doing that in this instance, and they don’t have a price cap, so that’s particularly useful when one wants to book last minute. Yes I agree BA is awkward having a mix of product offerings to HK and then reverting to old J, they of course do the same to Singapore, within a few years everything should be Club Suite, but I know many friends who have booked BA 28 instead of 32 over the summer and groused they got the old seat, not everyone is as nerdy (I mean that in the best way) as the posters here to know which flight has what, making CX the more consistent offering for the time being at least, until they start the J retrofit then the fun and games begin.

cwoodward
    Participant

Interesting re BA old product HKG switch coinciding with their first media promotion in HK for a very long time. I don’t know a lot about the campagne but there was a full page adv for their Premium Economy product i n the SCMP yesterday. Seems something of a strong spend for a small cabin. Perhaps that’s the only cabin where they feel that their product can fight with the Asian carriers in this case Cathay.
    Christ- of course next summer Cathay will have their new club suites – any advantage here for BA seems a short lived one.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward, the CX rollout of the new J seat will take some time, and of course, with BA fleet-wide fit-out is already more than 50% complete, I don’t really see much change in the battle near term. CX I imagine will deploy the new J seat first to LHR and LAX long haul, and I guess Tokyo and Singapore for the short haul. CX has a mix of 350 and 77W to LHR, so the product likely will be mix and match for a while.

christ
    Participant

i agree the PE promotion is odd as it kept also coming up on my facebook – I have no idea if the offerings are the same on all aircraft but i agree it is a very small cabin and i believe usually full.

Maybe BA should update their home page for HK which still highlights club suite – a bit misleading!

It seems in the winter, one 787 has first and the other does not (summer is a 787 with first and a350). I think it is only the 787-10 which has club suites but i did a few dummy bookings for the winter and it looks like old club world from the seat map. I do think it would be better if they had greater consistency on routes as i think it is only JFK which 99% of the time has 777s with club suite.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls