Cathay Pacific B777-300 Economy

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

TominScotland
    Participant

I transferred to the lunchtime service out of Hong Kong to Heathrow from an earlier Dragonair flight. So I had enjoyed the benefits of a relaxing wait in the First Class area of The Wing. This is a great space, not (IMHO) on par with the QF First Lounge in Sydney but relatively quiet except for what seemed to be a plethora of pouting teens (Chinese and Western) with their parents – maybe a Saturday effect – intent on moaning about almost everything! I had a leisurely breakfast in the restaurant area – as I have said before, this is a good facility let down by its box-like design without natural light and, on this occasion, by a formidable Lounge Dragon who would not countenance choice in seating. She also did not give me the breakfast menu, instead pointing to the buffet with the command ‘Help yourself” and I only realised what I was missing out on some time later.

My flight was from Gate 64 so, instead of crowding into the transfer train, I took a leisurely strole up through the concourse, arriving in time to walk onto the plane via the Premium Lane. I had the same seat as on the way out, 39D (armrest issues!!) and settled down to what proved to be a long flight. The front cabin in Economy (just behind PE) is small – with just 4 rows and always seems very quiet. This is the downside of a daytime journey back to Europe – passengers are rather more restless and the poor crew have to work rather harder. I did doze a bit but did not get great rest. Cathay’s IFE is adequate in terms of choice (but good in terms of functionality) and I only managed to find one movie that sort of appealed.

The 12’40” flight has two full meal services which are fine for Economy. First time round the choice was chicken in gravy with potatoes and veg, Chinese-style beef or pasta, with a tasty nicoise-like salad and Hagan Daz ice-cream. About 2 hours out from Heathrow, the choice was pork with rice or fish with potatoes/ veg. Drinks and snacks were available throughout the flight – I do hate the smell of pot noodles in the cabin, I have to say. I would ban them in the manner of durian!!

Service was friendly and attentive throughout. Having previously noted that Cathay crew did not seem to recognise other oneworld card holders, this time, the CSD made a point of coming for an extended chat about my journey etc. Nice touch.

We would have landed on time had we not pulled out of the approach sharply – I was watching via the undercarriage camera at the time and it was spectacular to watch. The captain came on to say that the previous aircraft had been slow in clearing the runway so we had to go about again and try (this time successfully) again. We pulled up at the gate about 15 minutes late as a result and were soon off the aircraft.

I was heading to T5 and, having recently read comments to the effect that the T3 – T5 transfer is a nightmare and poorly signed, I kept my eyes open for problems. It can be along walk, yes, but the signage, in my view, is very clear (unless you cannot tell purple from yellow) and the bus transfer as good as any inter-terminal bus offerings I have come across (far better than CDG). From the plane + longish walk + bus + passport control in T5 and security took me less than 25 minutes and, because of where my next flight was leaving, I was soon in the Galleries North Lounge.

Another perfectly satisfactory long-haul flight in Economy – I must be getting used to things!!

thecartoonman
    Participant

I always enjoy reading your great reviews and as someone who rarely sits anywhere other than in the ‘cheap seats’, it has a particular relevance, though the first class lounge access must be a real benefit and something I have yet to benefit from. Keep posting.

Hello Tom

‘a plethora of pouting teens’

Could be applied to BTers LOL

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls