Cathay increasing flights to Australia and New Zealand

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay have announced increased flights to Perth which will become 5 times a week and a swop to deploying the larger B777. The route will return to daily early in 2024.
    Flights to its other AU destinations will continue to increase form the present 19 per week to Sydney 16 to Melbourne The 4 times a week to Brisbane which will increase to 5 and then daily in early 2024.
    This week the HK-Auckland flight returned to daily and Christchurch is due to restart in early December.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Woodpecker
    Participant

Thanks for the information cwoodward.

A close mate of mine based in Sydney who has been frequently coming to HKG since April mentioned that flights have been near full each time he has flown, so obviously the demand is there, either point-to-point or transit. It seems only the constraints of aircraft and/or pilots & crew is preventing CX from reverting to the pre covid frequency of four daily on this route.

christ
    Participant

Do qantas fly much – when i looked, i saw it was only an a330 to sydney?

AndrewinHK
    Participant

QF were operating the 380 but now 330 on SYD-HKG, they currently fly 3 weekly to MEL increasing to daily in October.

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Cathay has enough aircraft availability I’m told and seemingly enough pilots. Still needing more pilots though they have hired/rehired some 800 this year. Many aircraft have been pulled out of long term storage and now only about 25 still stored also new aircraft arriving by the month this year

Qantas only operated the 380 for about 6 weeks as was planned and now just the 20 year old 330 daily from Sydney and another 330 from Melbourne some days.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward, for some balance, QF a330’s aren’t all 20 years old, todays QF 29 from MEL-HKG is 13 years old. CX has 77W’s operating to SYD that are more than 13 years old.

cwoodward
    Participant

Is 13 years old for a 777 that did not clock up any hours for almost 3 years old by any ones standard? I believe not.

Yes today it was a younger aircraft ex Melbourne tdy the first that I have noticed for some time. The average of the 24 A330s though is close on 19years
    CX does not fly the older 330s to Australia of course and it a long time since I saw a A330 flying long haul.
    Normally A350s to Sydney Brisbane and Perth and 777 often to Melbourne and sometimes to other AU destinations. Always the A350 to NZ

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Cwoodward, your inference by mentioning the age of QF aircraft operating to HK is that they are old bangers, the QF 330’s have been retrofitted as recently as 2019, in economy the 2-4-2 layout is arguably better than the CX 77W, I always quite like flying the 330, on CX to Dubai and elsewhere pre covid. CX has a much better schedule to OZ and they always will, as QF focuses more on SIN, CX would mostly be my preference, but for anyone finding themself on QF I doubt you would feel hard done by.

cwoodward
    Participant

I mentioned the age of the aircraft only because AU passengers are complaining on forums at the rough state of the aircraft Qantas drafted on a 9 hour flight. Over and out.

christ
    Participant

i am based in hk and i think this is mostly european site. Every update on cathay is tediuos as there is no focus on other airlines and is like the old vintagekrug for ba.

cwoodward
    Participant

Being based in HK I write often about Cathay – by far the biggest player here.
    However the largest percentage of my posts are about business travel worldwide as a glance at my posts over the past few weeks will clearly show.
    There are not so many of us that contribute to the forum from HK now and the BT staff are no longer I believe based here. In the past they would have picked up much of the local activity for the Asia Pacific BT magazine and the forum.

Its pleasing that you have started to post but I notice that mostly your posts relate to Cathay Pacific and are most often as a response rather than an original posting. As clearly you have an interest in business travel why not originate posts yourself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller May 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls