Cathay – appalling website

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

• christ
    Participant

I know all complain re BA but Cathay is so user unfriendly and especially on multi city trip.

It freezes so often and then with the 11% offer, it just goes blank after being put in a queue.

cwoodward
    Participant

I suggest that you try another browser or computer Christ.
    The sight has never frozen on any of us that we can recall and there are eight travellers in the family. No one has ever mentioned any sort of problem to me and many of our friends use the airline regularly and would most certainly mention if they were having problems.

It is perhaps not the best website out there but it works well and always has for me done the job well enough.
    As it happens we booked some flights yesterday using the CX11% saving offer with no problem at all and today 2 flights using points redemption to Manila and return for just next week. Plenty of availability and decent seats – but possibly that is due to club status as lifetime diamond.

1 user thanked author for this post.

tomyam42
    Participant

I am experiencing similar problems to you Christ. I have now made over 20 attempts to book a discount ticket on line. The first half dozen times I was either frozen or cut off before selecting my flights. I have reached and selected my flight about 10 times and every time after being asked for who is flying I receive a note that they are experiencing technical difficulties and that I should start again. Normally the site is very poor but this is ridiculous.

christ
    Participant

Trying again and now different – when select return, it just says it has technical problems :(. Glad it is not just me (I have not had an issue in the past – not that I use Cathay that much).

christ
    Participant

Finally after no idea how many times trying i managed to book. Luckily A350 out but seems one of the many old relic 777s back based on the seat choice (they are more and more as a friend from Seoul just endured and said was awful). Totally appalling for the prices which Cathay charge (premium above all) and the lacklustre service.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

Christ, I think calling the website appalling is a bit harsh. I generally find the CX site is easy to navigate and broadly functions well. Multi-trip bookings, I find many sites where the functionality is not great, I assume because the algorithms have a complicated time with codeshares, plugging into other airlines’ systems, etc. I noted that CX prices have started to moderate, headline rates, but also the use of discount codes as Cwoodward mentioned, flights to KL and other regional routes for $2k roundtrip in Y. One could argue some routes are now seeing some overcapacity, KL now has Air Asia/Batik/CX/MH, and during CNY Air Asia X using its 330 widebodies on the HK route, so price competition I wager is coming back into the market at pace.

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

How exactly are you defining “a many old relic 777”

Christ The average age of the 44 X 777s in the currently operational Cathay fleet is 14 years.

6 of the currently operating fleet are over 21 years however many are only 8 years old and did not operate for 3 of those years.
    The older aircraft have all been refitted in 2018 or very recently to be now 2 class operating on dence short haul routes.
    All have new seating and cabin fit out thus not exactly “old relics”

Take a look at any large mixed aircraft fleet and all have some older aircraft that are totally serviceable and often refited

Once again it seems that you are prepared to make rather sweeping statements of condemnation without even travelling on the aircraft. Why I am wondering?

christ
    Participant

I am afraid I don’t think it’s acceptable for a so called premium airline to have such fundamental issues with its website and be unable to book. I also think the website is basic.

Yes probably some over capacity on some routes as there are also lots of flights to Bangkok and Seoul. Japan still very expensive on either JAL or Cathay.

Nonetheless the 11 percent discount is not that significant but better than nothing.

Interesting article on another frequent rather website that the cathay business service was pretty lacklustre and nothing special – along with the seat and saying will take years to fit their new product. I also agree with the article that the main focus is their ground product with the excellent lounges.

At least the outbound I have is a350.

cwoodward
    Participant

Christ – if you look hard enough and are determined to find fault you can find some customer disaffection with every major airline.

Quite frankly that seems to be the camp that you are in seemingly determined to continually post ill founded largely unsubstantiated criticism as though you have perhaps some other axe to grind as regards Cathay.

Yes I have had the same problem last year as you have experienced but it went away after I called the airline -but then over the years I have issues with almost every airline and hotel websites from time to time on this seem par for the course for everyone.

christ
    Participant

@cwoodward – I know all airlines have different issues and BA hardly has a glowing IT record. However I feel the difference is that Cathay prices are very high and so I have higher expectations and a more consistent service on board even if for 2.5 hours.

I am paying HKD 9,000 return to Bangkok and say a similar flight from LHR to Warsaw is about GBP 200 – that is a huge difference. For that I accept that the first lhr lounge will most likely be a mess and have more sympathy if everything not perfect (albeit I find BA on board service far superior and organised – perhaps not the food)!

tomyam42
    Participant

I continued through the night and this morning trying to book flights, 2 discount and 1 multicity. Sometimes the Cathay system would not even let me log in. When it did I could never get beyond selecting my flights. At that point I got the message “We are experiencing technical difficulties. Start again.” The system is third hopeless. Fortunately I have been able to contact someone in Cathay who has made one booking for me and indicated that she she will do the other two later.

I agree with Christ that the B777-300s (NOT B777-300ERs) are far from competitive in Business Class. One should not get the two variants confused, they are quite different. There are 17 of the regional variant, all essentially over 20 years old. At 30 June 2023 their average age was 21.7 years according to Cathay’s Interim Report. According to FlightAware, of these 12 are active, flying almost every day to Northeast Asia with the odd trip to Manila and Bangkok. Only the other 5 are not active.

On a positive note I was pleased to find that my flight to and from Manila would be in a decent Business Class seat although still an A330 whereas SQ and Thai use A350s. Cross my fingers that the regional seat is banished from Manila. Cwooward, if there is a burning desire to find positives there are the lounges and staff which I find excellent, and regional food is improving, but sad to say, the IT and wine are not.

cwoodward
    Participant

The above (mis)information is incorrect.
    There not 17 of the regional variant in use in FACT THEY DO NOT EVEN EXIST.

THERE ARE ONLY 11 OF THESE OLDER AIRCRAFT IN TOTAL OF WHICH 5 ARE CURRENTLY IN USE. 6 ARE STILL LONG TERM PARKED.

Cabin & Comfort
    The cabin has a very modern and clean feel. I actually really like them. The bus cabin is a 2-3-2 configuration, The seats are all new and are pretty comfortable for a 2 to 5 hour flight and offer enough space. The these seats angled and not lie-flat though.

christ
    Participant

@cwoodward, unfortunately you are wrong as there is a 777 regional variant with no flat beds / no direct aisle access and which are old. These are appearing more and more and along with the A330 regional variant (ex Cathay Dragon i believe). Also add the new single aisle planes which whilst modern, still have a different business product (they seem to be a fixture on Vietnam but with the odd A330 non – regional product). You also seem to miss the point that other carriers on many routes are flying more consistent products and with lower prices but i am happy you found an old 2 – 3 -2 configuration comfortable (I wonder if you would say that being in the middle seat).

@tomyam42
    , I am glad that you managed to book your flights. I certainly agree the lounges are excellent and that the regional food is getting better (wine i have found ok onboard but just very slow service). I also find the check in people helpful and friendly and they actually seem to have some authority to be flexible at times unlike other airlines.

tomyam42
    Participant

Cwoodward. May I direct you to Cathay’s 2023 Interim Report where you will see clearly that there are 17 B777-300s – the regional variant. I checked their recent history and 12 are in use. Sorry to say but it appears that you have been misinformed or mislead.

I fail to see why a passenger taking a regional Business Class flight should not have direct aisle access, certainly at the prices being charged. Why should someone experience less comfort or convenience because they will only receive a service for a shorter period? Forget about Europe where all passengers are treated like sardines. If airlines wish to offer a service such as Cathay’s regional configuration they can name it and price it as Premium Economy. It appears that you find anything with a Cathay or Swire label to be perfection. For the rest of the public this is not always the case. Their competition has offerings with some features that are more attractive and are willing to recognise this.

Christ, I still have only one booking. Also still getting the message “Technical Difficulties” so crossing my fingers for help.

Olneyflyer
    Participant

I have to say that being a regular flyer with Cathay I find that they offer excellent service, great lounges and I like the HK Airport experience. Yes they are expensive compared to some other airlines. However after the recent difficult years that they have just been through I can inderstand that they need to keep an eye on revenues and profit returns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls