Catering mess at Malaysia Airlines.

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Rferguson2
    Participant

A friend of mine has just landed at LHR from KUL flying Business Class on Malaysia Airlines. He was served economy hot meals for both meal services.

Malaysia Airlines notified him a day before the flight that there would be ‘modified’ catering onboard as they had ended their long standing relationship with their KUL caterer – and are yet to have an alternative fully integrated.

Malaysia Airlines have an FAQ section on their website which has some interesting points –

1) the transition to the new provider will take MONTHS.

2) there will be no compensation due to passengers affected nor will they be able to cancel or change their reservations outside original ticket terms and conditions.

3) any meals or snacks that customers bring onboard themselves must be HALAL.

4) Special diet meals will not be available.

It seems like this hasn’t been handled in the best of ways at all. Of course airlines tend to change suppliers from time to time but they would usually ensure that their new supplier is fully able to transition over a short period of time.

cybertravller
    Participant

Are they going to interrogate every passenger to ensure their snacks are Halal?

Inquisitive
    Participant

Rfarguson2 said “It seems like this hasn’t been handled in the best of ways at all.” And that is too mild a comment.

I cannot imagine that the Malaysia airlines cannot think of a much better alternative like buying business class meals from other airlines suppliers on ad-hoc basis or follow the BA crew innovativeness in the news a while ago, that is buying good food from Airport. Kuala Lumpur airport have some good dining options. At least the economy meal could have been supplemented by other food.

What about drinks and cheese selection, were those also from economy?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

One of the selling points of MAS catering is its satay service in business class.

Fans will be hoping this service will continue to be available.

MarcusGB
    Participant

As previously mentioned, KUL airport itself is really in a mess, with little open, most Lounges have been closed, and MH are cancelling flights quite often i observed and had myself to be rebooked on a KLM ticket at my request onto a Garuda flight.
    This has not improved from 6 months ago, and will not on my next visit either in a few months time.

I also outlined how so few Airlines there are flying with capacity into KUL, and most certainly to Europe.
    Fortunately i travelled through KUL, but to there on KLM, that are running 789’s ex AMS direct, (then onto Manila), but i return via Singapore and Air France, so cannot offer an insight into the catering Out of KUL.

Being Vegetarian and take a view on Halal for animal welfare reasons, it is clearly an Airline i would not book, especially looking at the state of KUL Airport as a whole. I wonder what rights Alex may advise you have, if this was known to be the case as described, for yr rights to Cancel any booked flights through your Credit card / Bank, in terms of the service not matching the standards of other Airlines?

Personally, i would only and always fly KLM return to KUL, and avoid MH for some time, sadly. I cannot imagine there is a huge demand for multiple caterers for the Airport, and really you are down to less than 5 places to be able to eat and drink in the whole Airport, after Immigration.I found only 3 (2 poorly stocked) Lounges Open, & connection to the Satellite by Buses as the Skytrain was also closed, so be Warned!

It really is Desolate, and 4/5ths closed of all that was sadly, after Immigration!

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Malaysia Airlines going back 40 years has always been a doggy unstable outfit rather echoing its governments but in the past it was cheap and no one minded that much.
    These days nothing much other than the pricing and the expectation has changed and will not until (if ever) there is stable uncorrupt governance of the country and its airline.
    There are several better and less stressful options.

CS KOK
    Participant

Unfortunately its a bullet that MH has to bite. The contract with the old caterer was extremely lopsided and needs to go. Of course the changeover could have been better. However, there is only so many meals that an alternative caterer can provide. Airline meals are very different from restaurant meals. so they can’t exactly go to a normal caterer for their inflight meals. Anyway I hope they sort out this mess sooner than later.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I missed this MAS statement dated August 30.

It refers to “alternative inflight food and beverages” during the transition.

https://www.malaysiaairlines.com/us/en/mh-media-centre/news-releases/2023/in-flight-catering-updates.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls