Catering For Gluten-Free Diets

Back to Forum
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Anonymous

FlightDoctor
    Participant

I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac disease and have been very disappointed by the standard of gluten-free food offered by most European airlines (when they remember). Is it better to just order the regular menu and pick out those items that I can eat?
    In addition, as a regular traveller with BA, I am disappointed that the BA First Lounge in T5 does not make any special provision. Surely having a gluten-free loaf of bread and a pack of busicuits available on demand is not too much to ask?
    Given that as many as 1 in 50-100 people have the condition I am surprised that the airlines do not seem to make more of an effort?

JohnnyEnglish
    Participant

Hello FlightDoctor,

I was about to start a new thread when I stumbled across your post. In belated answer, I tend to pick and choose, esp in economy in order to increase the chance of an upgrade. Lounges are my pet hate though – only Oslo properly caters to the gluten-free in my recent experience.

Anyway, back to my own query (and I guess there aren’t many gluten-intolerant travellers, so not expecting much of a reply – but here goes):

I am thinking of ordering a gluten free meal for my OS Vienna-JFK flight next week. As the majority of my travel is in economy I do not usually order a special meal to increase the chance of an upgrade. This time however it is in J class so I can’t get upgraded any further and might as well order the special meal.

However, recent experience on another transatlantic business class flight suggests that airline gluten free is also effort free, taste free, and texture free (i.e. cold stale ham, salad and a bit of corn bread – and I do not exaggerate). But then that was with LOT, so I shouldn’t have been surprised.

My question is – does anyone have experience of special meals on OS long haul flights? Should I trust OS to give me a decent gluten-free meal, or should I take my chances with the regular menu and avoid the bread rolls?

Any help greatly appreciated as the Senator hotline were not really able to help me except to say that all meals are prepared by DO&CO, a decent Viennese caterer. (The fact that I have M&M Senator even with 80% economy class shows how much travel I actually do!)

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls