Car Rental in Israel – Request for help

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Helloe all,

For the first time in many a long year I need to rent a car when on holiday in Israel. i am hoping that one of my fellow BT forum posters can give me some advice as to who might be best to use.

I would also welcome any general advice or suggestions as I have read on here many times that car rental is fraught with potential hassles and problems.

Thanks in advance to any one who can help or advise me.

Safe travels

Jonathan

MartynSinclair
    Participant

JC – welcome back, lovely to see another post from a former poster (although I know you lurk!!)..

WELCOME BACK!

As far a car rental is concerned, by using Amex Plat (£450 pa) you not only get a very very good travel INSURANCE policy for the whole family, but also the benefit of not needing the add on insurances….

Irons80
    Participant

I have always used Hertz, simply because I get 10% cashback through Quidco, also Nectar points and usually there’s an AMEX discount available too.

Car rental in Israel in general is not bad value, especially if you have a few passengers, as cabs can be very expensive.

However… the condition of Hertz cars have gone down a lot on my most recent hiring occasions. They have let their fleet get older and shabbier and from one occasion having a brand new Mazda 3 with 6km on the clock, the last 2 times I have had a Honda Accord with 40,000km (after rejecting a dented and filthy Mazda 3 with 60,000kms) and an ‘OK’ Kia Pride (a saloon version of the C’eed).

So, my advice is if you want a ‘deal’ but aren’t too fussed about the condition of the car, go with Hertz. Avis are eye-wateringly expensive. Otherwise, try Eldan – their cars seemed in good condition and others have said to me their prices aren’t too bad.

Hope this helps!

Pierre
    Participant

I rent a car recently from Hertz, paying with an Amex Platinum (as MartynSinclair mentions, it includes some insurance).
    The car was definitely not the most recent neither the cleanest…
    the ‘renting’ itself took a very long time. the customer care is not at its best (TelAviv downtown opposite to the Renaissance Hotel)

bernie100
    Participant

Hi

I use a consolidator. Last time it was eCarz.co.uk

My car was from Sixt. If you are hiring from the airport they are normally very good with upgrades. We always request the smallest manuel car which is Group A. They will try and charge you for an upgrade, If you refuse they upgrade free of charge.

Ecarz do cashback through greasy palm and other sites.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Thank you to all who posted. your comments and advice are all much appreciated and never taken for granted.

I now have some ideas of where to go to rent the car I need for my trip and will let you know how I get on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls