Car Hire Question – changing booking location on website

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• AlanOrton1
    Participant

Happy New Year to all.

A quick question I’d be grateful for any insight on.

In looking to hire a car in Spain for 10 days, the UK Avis site is quoting over £500.
    I’m currently away in the US, so Avis automatically directed my to the US site, where the quote is $150.

Having a US address and credit card, but not being a US citizen / permanent resident (am UK citizen) and holding a UK drivers license, do any forum readers believe there would be an issue in booking this car hire from the US site?

Many thanks

capetonianm
    Participant

No. If there were a problem you could argue that you were automatically directed to the US site.

Only if it states that the rate is only available to US citizens could they disallow the rate. I think that is almost beyond the bounds of possibility.

I have often done similar when booking travel.

It’s possible to achieve the same by using a VPN, but of course I’m not suggesting that I or anyone else would deliberately obtain lower rates by doing so!

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=843946]Happy New Year to all.
    A quick question I’d be grateful for any insight on.
    In looking to hire a car in Spain for 10 days, the UK Avis site is quoting over £500. I’m currently away in the US, so Avis automatically directed my to the US site, where the quote is $150.
    Having a US address and credit card, but not being a US citizen / permanent resident (am UK citizen) and holding a UK drivers license, do any forum readers believe there would be an issue in booking this car hire from the US site?
    Many thanks
    [/quote]

Hi Alan – a word to the wise, check what insurance is offered as standard with the US quote – it is often significantly less than with a UK quote.

I’ve sometimes booked through US sites and found it more competitive, even when adding on the extra insurance.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I often do this either by typing in a .country address or using a VPN. Using the Swiss website of the major car rental outfits often results in a quote often 3 or 4 times higher. I’ve never had a problem though sometimes I’m unable to use a non US card for prepayment. Instead I choose the pay on arrival option and even if it’s a few $’s more still works out cheaper.

As for insurance I use my credit cards insurance so no problem there either.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Many thanks all.

I have top up insurance via a well known card provider, so given the above I will give it a go.
    I’ll give the T’s & C’s a good read through first.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

The Avis website does ask your country of residence so that might be an excuse to query the rate. I always check various websites and there is significant rate variations. The highest costs are if you are UK resident and use the Avis UK website. I book using my Spain address and a UK Amex card with no problems and a good rate. Given the previous posts on Car Hire Shenanigans caution might be advised.

ASK1945
    Participant

[quote quote=844237]The Avis website does ask your country of residence so that might be an excuse to query the rate. I always check various websites and there is significant rate variations. The highest costs are if you are UK resident and use the Avis UK website. I book using my Spain address and a UK Amex card with no problems and a good rate. Given the previous posts on Car Hire Shenanigans caution might be advised.
    [/quote]

I have been travelling to TLV three times a year for 15 years, and have been booking through the Avis-Israel website every time. That website specifically allows for external bookings. The cost is always significantly less than the UK one, although the CDW excess is much higher. That doesn’t bother me, as I also use a UK insurer to cover this, with an annual policy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls